1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone plow with a Ford FX4?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by recon1924, Aug 2, 2009.

1. recon1924

recon1924 Junior Member

In the past, I've been plowing with a 1998 2500K Chevy 4X4 with a Western 8' blade. I'm thinking of selling that truck and getting my wife a car. I drive a Ford FX4 for work and I'm wondering how I would do putting a fiberglass plow on that and plowing my father-in-law's restaurant parking lot. We average about 3 inches a snowfall, with the snow sometimes being a bit slushy. Does anyone use this set up or does anyone have any advice? The 1998 Chevy only has 55,200 miles on it, but it's getting up there in age, and I'm not sure I want to put any repair money into it.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  2. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Is this an F-150 or F-250 Fx4? It doesn't really matter, but the 250 would be nicer to plow with. It's a little more heavy duty.

3. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

My 350 is an FX4.

4. whiteford06

whiteford06 Junior Member

I plow with my FX4 F350 and it works just fine what year is it

5. recon1924

recon1924 Junior Member

it's actualy a ford ranger FX4..

6. Brant'sLawnCare

Well that's a pretty small truck. But it can be done. Make sure you plow with the storm. You probably won't be able to plow 8" with a Ranger. Maybe not even 4". Don't know for sure. I would get a bigger truck.

7. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

I thought you were a Western guy... Here you are promoting Fisher :p

8. Brant'sLawnCare

Oh boy! I shoulda said "Plowing ahead of the storm" lol. At least I wasn't promoting Boss....:rolleyes::p Besides Fisher is alright.

9. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Who manufactures fiberglass plows?

10. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

I plowed 15" with my 99 Ranger didnt want to but I was at work for the storm. It took me a little extra time to get through it. Like everyone said plow with the storm and you will be fine.

11. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

Rangers do the best that they can for their size. A good operator can plow a roadway with them, you don't want to plow parking lots with them. They take 3 times as long for normal driveways as well, but are great for townhome drives. They problem with them isn't the ranger, but the plow that goes on the ranger is to light... which is sort of the problem with the ranger.

12. 7879fordplower

7879fordplower Member

I'd keep the Chevy,55,000 miles is nothing on these trucks. I have a 99 k2500 4x4 that just turned 191,000 miles and all i've done to it is a water pump, starter and alternator other than normal stuff like oil changes, brakes, and tires.