1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

does anyone plow with a 1500 crew cab?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Robber80, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Robber80

Robber80 Member
    from Vermont

I'm thinking of selling my f350 for a chevy 1500 crew with the 6.0 gasser in it. almost all of my friends have a newer style 1500 chevy in some body configuration and they love it.

Actually one of them plows a crap load with it and isnt easy on his equipment and he hasn't had any problems in years. as long as you take care of it they seem to hold up great. They seem to hold up better than some trucks thats for sure. i know that mine takes balljoints every year. but i've heard taht superdutys do that.

so my question is, am i only seeing that these trucks hold up so well because i only know 3 people personally that have one? and only one plows the crap out of it?? or do they really hold up well?

i was thinking a 7.5 X blade on it, i know they say the crew should have a big plow, but i see the same trucks all over with a 7.5 x blade on them.
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Why not get a new 3/4 ton instead?
  3. harleyrider67

harleyrider67 Member

I use a 1500 Quad Cab-W/7.5 BOSS to plow with and it does a fine job. While I do mostly residential and some very small commercial lots it has held up well.

I would not recommend doing any big commercial jobs with a 1/2 ton though.

The HEMI has plenty of power and torque in my case, I am sure the Chevy 6.0 would have as well.

Whatever you decide to do: 1/2 or 3/4 ton just keep up on the maintenance schedules and treat them right and you will be ok...payup

Send Indiana some snow if you have any you need to get rid of....LOL

4. Robber80

Robber80 Member
    from Vermont

well i already have a 1 ton extended cab f350 with a desiel. and i like it a lot, but it really is just to much truck for what i need. also its very expensive compared to a half ton. my experiance so far is that the bigger ones wear out quicker anyway. also, i dont want a f150 crew becasue i think the chevy makes a better half ton. around hear a lot, i mean a lot of people have regular cab short bed 1500s and thats all they use, even for big lots. they really never have to fix them either. maybe once in a while.

the 2500 i've delt with have a lot more going wrong with them. the reason i say that is my friend has one with the 8.1, and another with the 6.0, and another with the durmax, they've all had their share of problems just like my Ford. plus my friend works as a tech at a GM dealer and he said the half tons with plows come in a lot less than the 3/4tons.

but again what i've said doesn't mean anything because i want to know more peoples opinnions not just the one guy i know with a 1/2 ton chevy and a plow.
  5. harleyrider67

harleyrider67 Member

I have a neighbor down the street that has a 2000-2002..? Chevy 1/2 Z71 Ex-Cab with the same plow that I have and he has had the plow on the truck since it was new. He has used the heck out of it with great results. He's never spoke about having any issues with it either.

He takes really good care of his stuff as well.

We have a lot of 1/2 tons running around here, Dodge and Chevy(small town) and I asked my local dealership (sorry-Dodge) about repairs on the 1/2 tons and they told me that they are fewer than those with the heavier trucks. His guess is that the guys are just harder on the heavier trucks.

I would have liked to have had a 3/4 ton but the rebates were right when I bought my 1500 and needed to save the money for the boys college tuition.
  6. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I would stay with what you have honestly from the plowing aspect. But, and this was the case with me, if you WANT a 1500 crew cab, get a 1500 crew cab. I wanted my F-250 Diesel, so I went and got it. If it will make you happy, then do it. I had my 01 Dodge and a 7'6" Boss and that truck plowed great! Let us know what you decide.:salute: BTW, you have any pics of your Ford...looks pretty nice!
  7. Fordistough

Fordistough Senior Member
    from USA

I wouldn't put a plow on anything smaller than a 3/4 ton. If I was you I would stick to the 1 ton. You already own it, and it makes a B E A U T I F U L plow truck. If you want to go ahead and learn the hard way, than I would say go ahead and try to plow.
  8. 2004Z71CC

2004Z71CC Member

I plow with a 1500 crew cab and it works fine. I have an 8' pro plow on the front and a speedcaster 1 tailgate salter on the back. I turned the torsion bars up 4 turns and mounted timbrens on the front. The truck sits up great with the plow raised.
    There are many plow trucks around here that are 1500's and they work fine.
    I actually find that this 1500 gets better traction than my 88 F250 with 7.5' diamond plow did.

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Pick the right plow, treat it like a 1500 it should do great. have the torsion bars cranked up, I have a spec for Chevy's recommended ajustment for it, PM me with your email and I will send it to you. I cann't send it as an attachment to a PM they say the file is to large.
  10. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

If I were you i would get a 2500hd and be done with it. A 1500 will get the job done, but why constantly push the truck to it's limit? And I think an X-blade is alot of blade for a 1500. A 2500HD in the same configuration is the same size as a 1500 just taller and beefier.
  11. Robber80

Robber80 Member
    from Vermont

well how about the extneded cab 2500HD with the 6.0 in it? do the trannys hold up???
  12. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

I have plowed with 1500's since 98' and only had to rebuild one transmission @ 130000 miles and pushed as much snow as the 3/4 and 1 tons that i have worked with at a very larger mall, it depends on how much plowing you do, as far as pushing the truck to the limit any heavy snowfall will push any truck to the limit, average snowfall the trucks work fine. If you really want a 1500 treat it as a 1500 do not expect to haul or tow like a 3/4 or 1 ton.
  13. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 Senior Member

i have a f-350 and a gmc 1500 with the 7 1/2 foot fisher......ive had the gmc for ever and just got the ford..the fords been in the garage 6 times in 2 months and the gmc has ony been in once in the past 3 months for a water pump....id buy the gmc, im thinking maybe i might sell my f-350...and buy a gmc 2500 HD with the duramax....i dont knoiw the fords are nice and big and flashy but they seem to break alot, i dont know, im going to see wat happens through the winter then either keep it or get rid of it and buy wat i said, though i dont like the duramax at all, and the powerstroke is awsome, its not the engine that has probles its the truck itself.
  14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Well said DJ. you, the driver, push snow. The truck is a tool you use. How you use and care for it determines how well it lasts, and performs.

So buy the NEW 1500 with a snowplow prep package. Maybe look in to the 1500HD if your thinking Chevy/GMC. For Gods sake don't put a 8 ft X blade on it, find some thing more in line was the vehicle's capacity, Fisher makes lighter blades. As do Snoway, mmmmeyer, western, boss etc.

quote Robber80 well how about the extended cab 2500HD with the 6.0 in it? do the trannys hold up???

Everybody's trannys are pretty equal, they blow up if you beat them. I decided along time ago to pay the price of having a new truck with a warranty as my main plow vehicle. I buy the equipment and Ford, Chevy, or Dodge pay the repair bills if something cooks. The first time it was a hard nut to make(who remembers the Carter years) but each one the payment got lower, the term shorter and the truck nicer as equity grew. Watch the balance of equity , loan balance, and warranty so you sell at the right time. Search for that leftover with the packages you want and take advantage of incentives. You end up with a nice truck that someone else pays to repair major damage.
  15. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

A 1500 makes a good starter truck for your daughter!!!:nod:
    A 1500Hd can not do the work of a 2500HD no way no how.:nono:
    Don't kid your selves for one minute. For commercial plowing you need the pay load and the heaver suspension that only a 1 ton or a 3/4 ton or larger can provide.
    To make it in the commercial field you need a truck that can carry a 8.5 to a 10ft plow and in most cases a spreader too.
    It comes down to this, do you want to be a Snow and Ice contractor
    or just play one on the Internet??:waving:

This is the commercial forum after all..
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2006
  16. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Yo Farmer, did you forget about my plow rig?? :waving: 1/2 ton Silverado ext. cab? Works just fine as a plow truck. Haven't had a problem yet. (knock on wood)

17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Where I live a lot of guys have 1500s with plows on front and hitch mounted salter on the back. They make good money focusing on driveways, gas stations, convenience stores, and other small lots that Snofarmer's 18 wheeler with it's highway blade couldn't turn around in. While I prefer 3/4 over 1/2 ton trucks for what I do, there's lots of jobs where a 1500 will do just fine. Commercial means "paid money in return for services" not CDL required. Don't let sexist remarks, or tunnel visioned "experts" keep you from making a decision based on your wants and needs.
  18. bikeluver43

bikeluver43 Member
    from Mass

Chevy/GMC trucks have been known to have good tranny's. I think if you get the 1500 Crew Cab with the 6.0 "Vortec Max"-I think its technically considered the 1500HD-which is just a 2500 series truck with 1500 badges. Either way, you get the same drivetrain as the 2500's, except your rear springs aren't as stiff/strong, and you have a different frame. I don't understand why people are so against putting plows on 1/2 trucks nowadays-considering that todays 1/2 ton trucks have frames that are 10x as stiff/strong as the 3/4 & 1 ton trucks of the early 90's.

The Chevy will treat you well, if anything the only problems you may run into will be stupid small things with interior switchs and knobs-the drivetrain is bulletproof-And I'm a Dodge guy saying this...:drinkup:
  19. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

lol, how big is that piece of wood and why is it not in the wood stove?
    I kind of remembering you saying that your next truck will Be 3/ton>>>:waving:

Yes, you can get a started with 1/2 ton, but sooner or later you are going to treat your 1/2 ton like a 3/4 ton of larger this is not only dangerous, but vary hard on your truck.
    You should have more truck than you need so can operate it inside of it's capabilities.
  20. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

I do believe i said that a 1500 could not tow or haul like a 3/4 or 1 ton however they can push snow like anyother pick-up truck thats set up for plowing. Well Robber80 you have had some good advice here good luck in whatever you buy and let us know how it works out.