1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone plow with a 1 ton Sterling

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JCPM, Feb 15, 2010.

1. JCPM

JCPM Senior Member
    from CT

I am doing some research on purchasing a new dump truck and was wondering if anyone on here ownes or runs a light duty Sterling chassis. I was told that they are pretty bulletproof but I haven't met anyone who's actually used one. I'm here in CT and never seen one on the road. Pretty much everyone runs Superduties here.

2. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

Dont believe Sterling makes a 1 ton....I think the smallest is the 5500 size which is nothing more than a dodge with a different and more ugly grill IMO

3. JCPM

JCPM Senior Member
    from CT

That's actually what I meant. I was looking at buying either an f550 or a 5500 Kodiak. I didn't know if the Sterling drivetrain was better than those.

4. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

its just a dodge......nothing Sterling about it. If you like dodge and the price is right go for it. if not buy one of the other ones. I think the F-550's speak for themselves, but I have also heard nothing but great things so far from the few people I know that own Chevy/GMC 5500's

5. JCPM

JCPM Senior Member
    from CT

I'm not attatched to my Fords. However, I feel a little uncomfortable when they change their diesal every two years. The 7.3 was an awesome engine but the 6L series hasn't been established long enough to prove itself. I've already had my 6.0 out of the truck for repair with only 30k miles on it.

I love the Kodiaks. My buddy has one with a 10ft Boss V on it. It's a monster. A little pricey though and I don't know what's going on with that series of trucks now that chevy sold if off.

6. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

From what I have read the 06's and up 6.0's were not so bad.

7. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

8. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

yeah by 2006 Ford had pretty much solved all the problems with them I do believe. 06 or 07 should be a good year for you. also havent really heard too much negative about the new 550's that have the 6.4 in them. 2011 they are changing the engine again so now may be a good time to get one.

9. tn_ctd

tn_ctd Junior Member
    from TN

we are plowing with an 06 f450 with the 6.0 in it and havent had many problems at all just a few minor things... planning on adding another 450-550 soon!

10. fargotruckman

fargotruckman Member

a sterling bullet is just a dodge but with a different grill