1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone mix Mag. Chloride with brine 90/10?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by valleyviewlawns, Jan 22, 2014.

1. valleyviewlawns

valleyviewlawns Member
    from Montana

We don't have a good source for local calcium chloride here in Montana, barely have grocery stores. There is a source for Mag Chloride within an hour of me. Is it possible to mix this into a 90/10 ratio with brine?

2. DKG

DKG Senior Member

You can mix the 2 together, just remember the mag has to be in liquid form also.

3. valleyviewlawns

valleyviewlawns Member
    from Montana

I can get mag for $1/gallon. Not the best route but I will need this to lower my effective temperature of the salt brine.

4. valleyviewlawns

valleyviewlawns Member
    from Montana

I thought I read somewhere on here that someone put mag in flake form in the tank, and it melted the bottom of the tank as soon as the water hit it! Get the 90 mixed then add the 10 in liquid form. Thanks for the help.

5. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

Yes that is fine, I use calcium cause it is less expensive but mag will work too.... Not as good as calcium but close enough....