1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Does Anyone Know???

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Sharpshooter77, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Sharpshooter77

Sharpshooter77 Senior Member

Hello everyone, I wanted to know if anyone knew what kind of gas mileage a 1985, F-250 4x4, with a 351 windsor with a four barrel 600 or 650 CFM holley would get per mile. I wanted to know this because neither one of my two gas tanks has a working gas gauge. I am going to fix the gas gauge problem soon, but until then I need to know the MPG on my truck. Thanks

2. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Your best bet...

I think as every truck is a little different, your best bet would be to top off the tank,write down your mileage drive it around for a day then top it off again and do the math...Otherwise I would guess about 10mpg...

3. Sharpshooter77

Sharpshooter77 Senior Member

Oshkosh- I kinda though that I wouldn't get any better then 10 mpg. All well if I wanted a truck that was good on gas I would have bought a 4 cylinder import. I think I get about 9.5 mpg pulling a 25 foot boston whaler, because I did 180 miles and had a full tank of gas of 19 gallons, 180 divided 19 = 9.5 mpg. Maybe I should have got a diesel :cool: :drinkup: :D

4. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

It is what it is....

My Gm diesel 2wd 1 ton got 15 and my gas 4x4 got 6-8, its all about what you can afford at the time...I've been there....
    I was guessing on your Ford based on my 91 F150sc 4x4 with a 351,headers,throttle body spacer etc I would be lucky to get 13-14..Our F250sc 2wd with a 460 got 8mpg towing or not....
    If I was going for mileage I would find an early Dodge with the cummins...I've talked with guys getting 20mpg towing a 20' power boat up from Fla at 70mph....Nothing wrong with that!!!

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I have a 1999 F-250 4X4 with the V-10 motor and average 8 when I am plowing. Not good mpg's but I have the power to push anything as long as I get traction. Tim

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

We have an 86 F350 with a 460 and a holley carb. Get's 6 MPG around town and with a 19 gal tank you don't get too far!

7. sawbones25

sawbones25 Member

I'm with him.

My 460 with a 650 Holley 4-barrel can run through some gasoline.

I did drive it to North Carolina last summer. The trip was about 250 miles each way. With no overdrive I was only doing about 60 on the highway, which meant getting the finger a lot. But I got down there and about 1/3 of the way back on one fill up (two tanks).
    I don't even bother keeping track when driving around town or plowing with it.

My sending unit on the back tank doesn't work either. When I fill up both, I start driving on the back tank. When the truck starts to sputter I switch tanks... When the front empties, I fill up again and start all over.

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Since both do not work that's a clue that it's not the sending units. Check your tank selector switch they go bad all the time. Bet it's a wiring problem somewhere.
    My EFI 351 gets about 10 - 11 MPG. My Dad's last carbed 351 was about the same.

9. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

90 F-450 with a EFI 460 = 7.6 mph.
    93 GMC2500 with 6.5 turbo diesel = 14.5 w/AC off and cold winter air coming in.

88 F-250 w 460 EFI = Don't know. Drive backward too much to get an accurate milage reading.

Oshkosh had the best idea. top off, drive, top off and divide.

10. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Seems to me I got around 8 around town and 4-6 plowing on my old 87 F350 351 EFI.
    I would not expect you to break 10 with your setup.