1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

does anyone know of a company that makes a flat bed for a 1500 pickup?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mass1589, Jan 24, 2011.

1. mass1589

mass1589 Senior Member
    from mass

hey everyone new to the site and not sure if this is the best place for this question however im wondering if there is anyone out there that makes a flat bed for a 1500 series pickup......

im looking into makeing a new plow truck setup for me nd my brother to put to work... i love the way the flat beds look and at first will only have a plow, however i will defintly be throwing a sander on it next season!

any help would be greatly apreciated! thanks in advance

2. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

Flat beds are like trailers, they come in many sizes. Go talk to who ever sells them in your area and they should be able to order what you need. I have had a flat bed on a half ton truck before. Just make sure you realize it doesn't raise the amount of weight you can haul.

3. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

4. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

I think there about as many manufacturer's of flat beds as there are utility trailers. It may depend on your region of the country as the choices you may have. They definitely make models for 1/2 tons. One big decision is aluminum or steel. In the Midwest many trailer dealers also deal in flatbeds for pickups.

Keep in mind many steel flatbeds can weigh much more than the oem bed did.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  5. mass1589

mass1589 Senior Member
    from mass

yea i know i cant haul more or tow more wieght with it im just thinkn lookswise and ease of cleaning and working with a sander....

ide like a 2500 series instead but im comign across some reallllly nice deals on 1500 and it has crossed my mind. but online i only see beds for 8.6 inch trucks.

6. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Flat beds are typically designed around frame width, cab to axle dimension and overall length. So in theory providing a 1/2 ton has the same dimension I just mentioned as a 3/4 or 1 ton the bed will fit. Not knowing the year or make of the truck you're talking about it's hard to give an actuate answer.

7. brad2555

brad2555 Junior Member
    from ohio

Coyote Manufac. Leesburg, OHio, by far the best build steel flat bed in the market, as well as flat bed trailers.

8. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Yup when I built mine, my truck was a short bed and built my bed to suit that is was a short bed truck. The width would be the same regardless of 2500 vs 1500. I had no problem carrying the weight I wanted to with this truck either. I would load the hell out of it with sand when plowing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. mass1589

mass1589 Senior Member
    from mass

sorrry i meant to put 1500 series silverado or sierra !

10. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Being a GM the dimensions I mentioned earlier would be the same, I believe when Dodge went to the newer IFS on the 1500's the frames changed much like the F150 in 97/98.
    Depending on your fabrication skills you can shorten a long bed to fit a short bed. But if the bed you start out with has a goose neck hitch the hitch will have to be moved, if you don't plan on using the GN just weld up the access door and move on.