1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone here cold call?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PlowOrDie, Oct 29, 2007.

1. PlowOrDie

PlowOrDie Senior Member
    from ohio

I have been thinking about cold-calling some businesses around my area. Was thinking about having my home sitting mother do some "telemarketing" in her spare time, where she would make contact with , say, the "property manager" and set up a time and date for an estimate and then I would meet the designated person and throw out prices on the spot, with a blank contract in hand ready to be written up.

Was just wondering if anyone else has tried that, or if anyone can offer any USEFUL advice to help this work out for me. Thanks!

2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Cold calling is the way I got 2 Lowes Home improvement stores and a huge commercial distribution center. If we have a decent winter those cold calls will be worth somewhere around 150 thousand dollars.....These are the good cases I probably called on about 100 or so businesses, Oh yeah last year cold calling got us a Wal-Mart Super center and a nice hotel which billed out at about 105 K for both. Again probably visited close to 100 businesses, you just need to look professional, have you truck clean and neat inside also in case they ask you to drive them around to "survey the site". And speak in a professional manner, Yes Sirs and No Sirs, be prompt returning calls if they try to reach you with questions and always try to ask for the right person. If it's big box retail some have a facilities MGR, if not ask for the GM, some sites have property managers since they are leased if thats the case look for real estate signage for empty spaces in the complex, if it's a realtor 8 out of 10 times they'll give the contact you need others won't and sometimes you get the management company direct. Don't be pushy just explain how you'll do it better than the guy that had it before...........But one thing starting this late I think you'll get alot of people telling you they signed their contracts in sept or early october.

3. PlowOrDie

PlowOrDie Senior Member
    from ohio

good info....

hopefully it is not too late!

4. Cold Calling Works

I hired a young lady in a town in rural Minnesota that kicks butt. ($15 per hour) She got me 40-50 bids on snow removal contracts this winter. I plan on using her again in January - February where I'm sure she'll generate 100-200 property bids. I DID have to provide her with leads, which I did with Sales Genie. I pulled down 1000 property managers, 1400 apartment buildings, etc...
    I think long term, it's the relationship selling and the loyal accounts that really make a legacy, but cold calling grabs those accounts others have missed. The secret is: You might get an account that has been paying premium dollars without knowing about it that no one has called, or better yet, you might start a relationship with a "young" read "new" property manager that might be a big player some day,

Best of Luck!

Steve
    Steve@Landscape.Pro

5. PlowOrDie

PlowOrDie Senior Member
    from ohio

hey dutchhook - thanks for the reply ..... quick question for you?

how does sales genie work? what are your up front fees?

6. Free Leads for Snowplowing

Well, the fees they WANTED were $4000 per year, BUT I negotiated down to $150 per month. If you go to the website, you can pull down 100 leads FREE!
    I think the SIC code I liked best was 653108, which I think is real estate property managers. 100 property managers should be plenty of marketing to get you on your way.
    If that SIC code isn't correct, you can go to 6531 and pick your sub group, then sort by zip codes you want to service.
    You might have to put up with a sales call from SalesGenie after you download the 100 free leads.
    Other codes I used (by name) apartment complexes, townhome associations, retail and shopping centers-good one! and even cities and park boards, which I plan on marketing to after the first of the year.
    You can also go to local associations like NAIOP, CAI etc... Some of these sites list property manager names. I didn't solicit these, since they weren't really published to be solicited, but I did feel like mailing to these individuals was perfectly fine.

I also had a one on one conversation last week from the President of one of the largest landscape mgmt companies in the nation that BOMA (Building Owners Management Association) was becoming a powerful voice for property management leads.
    I THINK THAT'S EVERY SECRET I HAVE, I'M ALL EMPTIED OUT NOW!
    Hope this helps, feel free to contact me for anything else.

Best of Luck!

Steve
    Steve@Landscape.Pro

7. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

shoot
    with a little time you can get leads for free
    Go to google
    search on property managers, name of your town.
    then just copy and paste it into a spreadsheet.

takes about an hour to get a 100+ and you start with the ones that are closest to you.

works for realtors too.

8. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i am enjoying reading all of these post, i have little to add but here

i sent 3000 fliers through the newspaper......2 calls, i sent fliers to about 500chamber of commerce members....several calls and it did'nt cost that much, maybe about 500$ altogether the stamps cost more than anything

i have done cold calls and they have produced many times for me but the word of mouth is still the best, so do the best job you can , it'll be tough the first couple of years

9. Google leads.

Shoot Cowboy, dang straight! (That's the best this Minnesota old fart can talk western)
    Google does work just fine. That's probably the best place to start. I forgot to mention the 2 best benefits of going off the beaten track is that less people are contacting people that aren't in public directories, and when you pull down leads, you get a credit rating. Usually the credit rating is a grade from A to D, then a credit score from 0 to 100, then a suggested credit limit. Usually the suggested credit limit in Sales Genie is ridiculously low.
    All valuable things for contractors, but I agree, I'm on Google all day, it's great, good point!

Steve

10. PlowOrDie

PlowOrDie Senior Member
    from ohio

hey dutchhook, first and foremost I would like to thank you for providing all of that information!

I was just wondering what "script" do you typically follow when you call these property managers? in other words, what do you say when you first get someone on the other line?

thanks!

11. Cold Calling Script

PloworDie Can you send your email address to Steve@Landscape.Pro ? I don't mind a few people in this thread getting the script, but I don't want to make it available to everyone.

I'll send you the script. It's a comprehensive three page pdf file.

Thanks, and keep me informed as to how you're doing.

Steve

12. PlowOrDie

PlowOrDie Senior Member
    from ohio

Dutchhook, I sent you an email. my email address is jjyard@hotmail.com

I have searched hundreds of pages on this site and you seem to be the ONLY real help to me.

your help is comparable to a gift from up above!

and for that, I THANK YOU!