1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone have this spreader?

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by MatthewG, Nov 6, 2009.

1. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Just dug this spreader out of storage, and I noticed the wheel or auger does not spin freely. Is this typical or did this baby seize up from the corrosion. I never used this before so I'm not sure how this works. Its the Meyer Mini 36006.

Thanks

spreader.jpg

2. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

It might just be rusted up, if there not properly lubed at the end of the season you'll have the problem you have now, nothing moves.

I greased the sh*t out of the one I had, it wasen't exactly like yours but similar. One season just put it in storage, when I took it back out the following year the bearings were shot, had to replace not only the bearings but everything that worked with them.

Try spraying all moving parts with WD40 and let it sit for a day or two, you can take a battery jump box and power the motor after it sits for a while and see if all is good.

Best of luck to ya.

3. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

Spray it real good with some Fluid Film and try to power it up after a while. Not sure but that may work.

4. cfdeng7

cfdeng7 Senior Member
    from CT

ya id try and spray it with a penentrating oil every day for a week and try and spin it by hand so u dont burn out the motor

5. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

It is not spinning because of the corrosion!

I have five Meyers 36000 spreaders just like the one you have. They are an old design and the electric motors only last about two years because they are at the bottom of the unit (sh!t rolls down hill) and the motor is also unprotected and out in the open.

I just figure the cost of a motor every two years (about $175) into the price I bill to my clients.

They are an excellent unit though, I have been using mine for over a dozen years with no problems. You should probably replace the motor, everything else will clean up fine with a little wire brushing.

I hook them up to a 50amp toggle switch and a 25 amp fuse, I don't bother with the variable rate controller. If I only want to spread a little I just "bump" the toggle switch a few times. Three of mine have vibrators on them and I use bulk salt in them with no problems. I have modified the ones with the vibrators, they have "doors" in the that slide up at the throat so that you can open the door and turn on the vibrator and they will empty out back into my salt pile.

So buy a new motor and you will be all set! It is a great machine...

6. New Heights llc

New Heights llc Junior Member

Forget abot it, its done! Almost impossible to remove the motor or the auger once its seized up. A real poor design Meyers put out.

7. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Ive been spraying it with PB Blaster, but yea I think its shot, where can I get a motor for this?

8. jlouki01

jlouki01 Senior Member

Clean the salt out of the motor. Pop the bottom off and a bunch of crap will fall out. Clean it real good with electrical cleaner ( get it at an rc car shop ).

9. campkd6

campkd6 Senior Member

I have the same spreader with same problem every year tap on the motor with a hammer lightly, then grab the spinner and try to turn it both ways mine usually frees up doing this (2 years in a row ) then I hook it up to a jump pack and run it . Good Luck

10. New Heights llc

New Heights llc Junior Member

I picked one up off e-bay for $100. I would try to get the old one off first.