1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone have one of those goofy lookin cabs for their 2 stage

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by kcplowman, Aug 25, 2010.

1. kcplowman

kcplowman Member

I am kinda thinking about getting one of those goofy looking things. They are cheap and from the looks of it no more snow in the face. Does anyone have one and if so do ya like it.

2. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

goofy

How do you haul the blower? Might be a problem.

3. Premier

Premier Senior Member

Nope we dont use them, bought a used blower with one on it didnt even make the trip home :laughing:

Last year i had a guy working for us and he would ride his sled in to the shop so i didnt think twice about him throwing his helmet in the truck, we get to the first job help him unload the blower he runs back to the truck and grabs his helmet. wish i would have thought of that trick when i was doing the blowing. said his neck got a little sore after 18 hours but his head was warm and dry.

4. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Have you ever considered wearing goggles? A pair of those with a good balaclava and you will be comfy even if there's snow flying all around you.

5. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Yep, Goggles, I keep a pair in the truck. They only get used when needed, but when its that biting stinging type of snow/wind, they come in dam handy when blowing snow

6. leon

leon Senior Member

snow blower wind guard

They work very well the only issue is the eventual clouding up of the soft clear plastic used for windshields- not much of and issue if you replace it the same year its gets bad with a new one and this is an issue with some soft cabs for lawn tractors too.

The clouding is a result of plastic being exposed to the weather, sunlight and ozone and exhaist fumes

Depending on your set up it will be easier to back up a ramp and drive down to make the job of loading and unloading safer.

The thing is the entire area becomes warmer with your breathing and as it is a huge windbreak it stays warmer as your upper chest area is not exposed to direct winds from front and side winds to an extent and does not fog up as it is not fully enclosed.

leon:waving:

7. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Didn't know we had this many women doing snow removal.:D

8. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

I guess u dont get snow storms when its -25* below zero and the wind is blowing 30+ mph.

9. WIPensFan

Sure I do.

10. kcplowman

kcplowman Member

They are cheap enough and the blower gets used for hours on end every storm I think I may just buy one and see if I or the employees like it

11. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I know it's tough for you to distinguish between chicks and guys because they all look the same the Wisconsin but I can assure you that IMAGE and I are both dudes.

12. WIPensFan

Goggle wearing dudes! Lady Gaga?

13. WIPensFan

Try it out and come back and tell us how you like it. I think I know the answer already, but maybe you'll see some benefit. I doubt the visibility will be good after a few minutes though.

14. plowatnight

from Mn

goofy

I'm still thinking that unless you have a closed trailer or van, the trouble is going to be getting it there in one piece, however the dicussion of ones "manliness" is fascinating.............. Is that how manliness is spelled? hhmmmm, "Manly"ness

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  15. asps4u

asps4u Senior Member

That will definitely be your biggest challenge, unless it stays at one location, or if the wind guard is on a quick attach somehow. Those things are really flimsy

:laughing:

16. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Aaaahahahahaha NICE!:laughing::laughing:

Seriously though- a pair of cheap sunglasses works well for me- helps cut down on the glare and they look stylish :D

17. plowatnight

from Mn

goofy

I saw a pretty cool one at Lowes last winter, You want the kind that uses an Allen wrench to "quickly" remove and attatch it. They're fun to track down when your frozen fingers drop the wrench in the snow.

18. JayD2

JayD2 Senior Member

Some good points on this question!

I have a question about these too, I was wondering does the snow stick to the windshield? Is so what do you do....I was thinking of getting one this year too, but will need to check on that statement about how well it will stay on and how easy will it be to put on at the job. I would be transporting mine on one of those platforms that you stick in your hitch on the back of the truck...

19. JayD2

JayD2 Senior Member

Some good points on this question!

I have a question about these too, I was wondering does the snow stick to the windshield? Is so what do you do....I was thinking of getting one this year too, but will need to check on that statement about how well it will stay on and how easy will it be to put on at the job. I would be traspoting ming on one of those platforms that you stick in your hitch on the back of the truck...