1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

does anyone have contracts to take care of sidewalks all day?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lazyike, Sep 26, 2012.

1. lazyike

lazyike Member

Got a call from one of my clients asking about have my company clear sidewalks all day when it snows... An apartment complex with a lot of elderly, the snow would have to be cleaned off constantly during snow events or blowing wind. They don't want to purchase a snowblower to replace a broken one. How would one justify having a guy there all day cleaning walkways when he could be in a plow making me 75.00 an hour. Around here this just is not the norm and I was curious if its common practice in bigger cities

2. ANA Proscapes

ANA Proscapes Senior Member
    from NH

Clearing sidewalks can be very profitable. The easiest way to bid it would be hourly, but it could get very costly for the complex. They could replace there snowblower 10x over what they will end up paying a company to clear there walks.

3. cda817

cda817 Senior Member

We have several contracts that require constant walkway maintenance. Just determine what your labor costs are per hour + equipment costs + overhead + profit and there you go. No different than a plow contract. You just have to determine if you want to get into the business of needing more shovelers. For every 2 in the field I have 3 more on call. Guys don't show up, get tired, didn't plan on being out for more than 4 hours....so on and so on.

4. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I service two large zero tolerance contracts with a ton of walks.. they want the walks continuously serviced from the first flake to the last. On a light snow I try to have 5-6 shovel guys per site. On a heavy snow ill double the amount of guys. I also have a atv that bounces back and forth to clear the exterior walks.. shovelers are the worst part of this business. It's really hard to get people to show up and shovel. As you know prices vary around the country but we bill $40 an hour for a shoveler.

5. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

Make enough money for a case of beer and then..........:waving:

6. ANA Proscapes

ANA Proscapes Senior Member
    from NH

Hahahahha. That's exactly the way it is. Some time they dont wait to drink. I've found many empty beer bottle hidden in the back of the box trucks. Shovelers are definitely the biggest pain in the ass. But you can make good money if they show up.

7. peterng

peterng Senior Member

for me the handwork is the most profitable by far. The up front investment and operating costs are non existent compared to vehicle expenses. Chargeout rates are not far off plow rates to provide the reliability and high service level I want to see. I pay healthy for employees providing hand work services.

I use primarily Toro single stage blowers for handicap ramps, pathways, decks at a church, daycares, chiropractor, police station and a bank. They are high production units given their particular task. Service during business hours only happens a few times a year when the surface needs to be maintained to prevent snow pack/ice under heavy traffic. Antiicing on pedestrian passageways has not been incorporated yet (I have a gravity brine system for vehicular passageways) but I will be as soon as time permits. My children limit my commercial snow service ambitions these days.

I look at contracts based on 5 day a week, 8 hrs per day operations thru to 7 days a week 24 hours a day operations. There are certainly multiplication factors to get people to the front door every hour through the winter and it has to pay.
    Pete

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  8. shane-pa

shane-pa Junior Member

I service a bank. It takes me one hour to shovel up to 3 inches of snow and put down anti-icing agent. I charge $60.