1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone have any experience with this tailgate spreader?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by ontario026, Nov 11, 2009.

1. ontario026

ontario026 Senior Member

Canadian tire sells it, it looks to be a "swisher" brand. I know it would be light duty, but I only really have 1 account where I need to salt/sand and that is my parents lane, as it has a few hills in it, and maybe my own house if required, my residentials are straight plowing, no salting.... so for light duty use??? anyone ever seen them?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...ries/PRD~0408071P/25-gallon+Salt+Spreader.jsp

Thanks
    Matthew

2. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

Yes, ditto for me too. Only do our country road, about 1/2 mile long. I'd like to see comments on the C.T. one as well

Ackland-Grainger has a SNOWEX SNXSP125 for sand/ice melt, and a SNXSP225 for salt for $849. However, looking at the Snowex home page shows that the 125 is not suitable for sand. Both priced at $849

Here's the link to the Ackland Grainger flyer, you need Adobe Reader to get it:

http://www.industrymailout.com/Industry/LandingPage.aspx?id=464228&lm=18219530&q=163032671&qz=04172030266b9246658edbb48f9a7c3c

3. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

I bet you could spread it faster with a bucket..... look around on kijiji and find a decent snowex for a good price...

4. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

there is a bunch of decent sand/salters available to buy online, check out a previous thread started by me regarding buying tailgate sand spreaders online, people gave me all sorts of websites that sand spreaders can be ordered from, also, northern tool and equipment has some great stuff

5. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

Yes, but how many will ship to Canada? Ones I looked at, outside of Northern will not. Then there's the issue of "Brokerage". If shipped by couriers it can cost up to 30% of the cost of the item. I won't deal with any American company that deals with couriers, only those that send via USPS as there is a flat brokerage fee, very low, I believe it's $5. In this case I doubt that any will try sending a sander/salter by USPS!

6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Check with ESI. He was going to ship me a plow. I believe they have in house brokers or ones they can get. How close to the border are you? Go for a weekend away and get one.

7. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

See, that is where it gets tricky. You can act as your own brokerage agent, but you can only do so at the point of entrance into Canada. Closest ground entry point, at least the last time I checked was Dorval, outside of Montreal, which is what, 1200KM away from me, here in Nova Scotia? Also, I think there's only 5 brokerage entry points into Canada. To be honest, I don't know if you could simply cross the border, buy one and bring it back in, that I don't know. In any case, closest entry to me would be ST. Stephen / Calais, which is a hefty distance.

Also, did check with Northern Tool and this comes up when you punch in shipping costs for most of their spreaders:

"Sorry, this item is restricted from being shipped to the destination you requested.
    If you need assistance finding comparable item(s) that we may be able to ship to your requested destination, please contact us at 1-800-221-0516.

8. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

9. buckwheat_la

so i worked your numbers using your calculator, and it works out to about $700 which when you compare the product, is a pretty damn good price

10. buckwheat_la

just a question here, but do you have a friend or family member that could help you with this

11. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

What product????

12. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

Not sure if you're asking me or the OP? If me, nope, no relatives or friends in the U.S.

13. buckwheat_la

lol, i picked a buyers spreader, (tgsuv1b) as it looked comparable to the unit you were looking at. i was asking both of you, and if you guys did decide to go that way, i may know someone that would be able to help you:waving:

14. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Phone ESI and ask what they can do. You can bring anything you want into Canada. Anything made in the States is duty free. Pay GST and PST. There has to be more then 5 entry points into Canada. Any where a Transport truck crosses is a point. Every crossing as far as I know has a Canada Customs and will gladly take your money.

Do you have to go to New Brunswick and then cross? Can you take a Ferry and cross into Maine. I thought I did that but it was 20 years ago.

UPS and any of those are not a good choice.

15. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

Good to know, will definitly keep it in mind.

16. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

Duty free has nothing to do with brokerage. Brokerage fees are the "processing and handling fees" charged by courier companies and the USPS/Canada Post for handling the package, and associated paperwork.

http://canadaonline.about.com/cs/customs/a/shopshipcanada_2.htm

On brokerage, I think the 5 entry points only refers to Purolator when I stop and think about it. I asked if I could handle my own brokerage from them, and I think they told me they only had 5 entry points, so I had to go to one of them to do the paperwork.

I'm in Nova Scotia, so I would have to drive through New Brunswick, or go to Yarmouth Maine and catch the ferry to Bar Habour, Maine.

On couriers, agreed. Learned a long time ago not to deal with them! :nod:

17. ontario026

ontario026 Senior Member

My marina actually overlooks the international bridge to Ogdensburg NY. I can have stuff shipped to the UPS store in ogdensburg ny and then pick it up and avoid brokerage fees... only problem right now is that I have not gotten my passport yet, so I can't cross the border. I bought my plow last yr from Gilco Equipment in watertown NY. Since I have my GST# etc for the business I had to do the paperwork where the truckers process their paperwork, I had to pay the gst on the plow right there, then I paid the PST through my normal PST remittences for my business...

I just don't know if I want to pay for a new good quality spreader right now for the limited use It will see, and a used one I am worried about getting something 3/4 worn out...

Matthew