1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone get bothered by DOT???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Four Seasons, Dec 24, 2008.

1. Four Seasons

Four Seasons Senior Member

Hey, do any of you guys using spreaders and plows on half tons or 3/4 tons get stopped by DOT. I have a dump insert in my 2500 HD and want to put a spreader in it and a V plow and Im a little concerned about being bothered by DOT. With a full spreader I would surely be over, as many other people I see all over the place doing snow and ice seem to be.
  2. MnDLawn

MnDLawn Senior Member

The really must not have anything else better to do.
  3. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

You would be over weight, but dot rarely stops small trucks. I guess you would be the first.
  4. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

I doubt it unless you have commercial tags and even then your truck is too small for them to worry about. You don't pay fuel taxes or have your vehicle inspected by DOT so they most likely could care less what you do.
  5. Four Seasons

good, thanks
  6. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I would take the dump insert out and then put in the vbox. Your truck will be a lot happier in the long run if you don't overload the axle
  7. snow tender

snow tender Senior Member

I don't know of anyone bothered yet. There has been some talk about having your rear plate covered. If you have everything else in order you will probable be fine
  8. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

If you are a commercial vehicle (and if you are plowing for money, you are), you can be pulled into a DOT inspection station.
    Typically (most states), you don't have to stop at the scales, but those temporary DOT inspection stations they like to pull on the side of the highway, those you do.

I highly doubt they are going to set up a temporary inspection station in a snowstorm.

Of course, if you are overweight and get in an accident, then, there might be problems. Just saying.
  9. Four Seasons

right, i should probably actually have DOT numbers but i never hit the highway, seriously, never, and it seems if you follow every stupid little rule you'll be flat broke.
  10. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

yeah i see V box inserts in F150s! i think we overload the crap out of ours with like 30+ bags of 50lbs salt and a 800lb tailgate spreader, snow blower, calcium and walk behind spreaders.

Even the boss plows we use are technically 30-50lbs too heavy for the fronts. I see 1 ton trucks though sagged down so much in the back their back tires are ready to blow out, eeek!
  11. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

It's not about how much weight you have on your rig...

It's about how much weight your rig is rated to carry..

If your GVWR is over 10,000 pounds you must have a DOT number, fire ext, triangles, brake controller(if pulling trailer) trailer brakes...etc

Your 2500hd's GVWR is under 10,000 pounds...probably closer to 9000. So unless your pulling a trailer, your good..

some 3/4 and 1tons are rated over 10k, and If your getting paid, you must need a DOT number.

I've been pulled over by DOT a couple of times and this is my understanding.
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
  12. unimogr

unimogr Senior Member

Here in RI DOT's really cracking down. Over 10M GVW (full or empty) you need DOT #s, medical card, log book if you're traveling over 100 miles, and all the little do dads like bulbs, fuses, warning triangles etc.

A friends shop bought a new chevy 3500 stake body and was stopped on the third day they had it. They immediately got the DOT #s on and it's been stopped 4 more times. DOT finally put a sticker on it after the 3rd stop and it still got stopped 2 more times.

They are also gunning for trailers without inspection stickers and if you have a trailer registered for over 10M GVW you better have a CDL-A licence. Even with 5th wheel RVs over 10M #s that were ignored before now require the right licence.

Gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling how our government protects us from ourselves....

That's why my F450 and gooseneck 14,400GVW trailer are for sale.
  13. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

that trailer does Not require a class A CDL
  14. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

here in il, a class d licence is good for 16000. i have never been stopped by dot. i have been pulled over in a 3500 d-max pulling a 20,000 5th wheel and the cop didnt say anything but your brake light is out, but being young, if dot stopped me then they might not have been to happy.

RODHALL Senior Member

DOT not going to be running after trucks in a snow storm....

if you running over loaded every day get a bigger truck, or haul smaller loads
  16. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Mark O......................
  17. LoneCowboy

Just wanted to amend my post a little above. You can NOT need USDOT numbers (depends on state and weight) and still be a commercial vehicle.

Any vehicle with signs/logo's on the sides is pretty much a commercial vehicle, no matter what it weighs. If you are using it for money off your own property, you are a commercial vehicle. motorcycle on up.

How likely is it that you get pulled over into an inspection station? dunno, depends on your luck and route or so. (me, I get pulled at least once a year, 4 times this year!!!:dizzy: )

How likely is it in a snowstorm? Pretty much zero . I know I'm overweight when plowing, I'm not worried about it. I dont' think they are either, most cops (not all) realize it's a snow emergency

But spring/summer/fall, the chances go up.

Having the emergency triangles and a fire extinquisher is probably isnt' a bad idea anyway. The rest of it, they are mostly looking for lights and brakes that don't work and wrong or missing plates (money!!!). All of which are things you should probably have working or correct anyway. (despite the fact it's mostly about the money, in this ONE case it is about safety)

remember, every little thing they find, a. It's at least $100 per little thing, and b. they can put you out of service for a lot of these things. (go sit over there til you get fixed, if you don't get it fixed by the end of the day, it's impounded).

But in a snowstorm? It's not going to happen.
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2008
  18. Jim Karns

Jim Karns Member

The DOT here in Connecticut are pulling over small (3/4 ton) trucks. The governor has pulled out all the stops to make our lives miserable - she hates trucks! If you have a dump insert, plow and sander - you're probably close to max without sand. Add a ton+ of wet salt/sand and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ They are pulling over LOADED trucks and scaling them....I don't know what the fines are elsewhere - but here they border on brutal. Not only a fine but the towing and the points on the dot number!!!
    Watch the weights......It's just my .02 but I think it's cheaper to run a bigger truck.
  19. LoneCowboy

I've heard (not myself, but 3 different people) that overweight fines are BRUTAL

Basically $1 per POUND overweight.

and, you're out of service til you get it down to the right weight
    and you can't dump it on the side of the road.
  20. unimogr

unimogr Senior Member

Originally Posted by unimogr
    if you have a trailer registered for over 10M GVW you better have a CDL-A licence. .

Really? I'm sitting here reading the back of my licence and it states:
    CDL Class B Single (truck) greater than 26,000# / Tow Less than 10,000#

Here's an excerpt from the Unimog mailing list:
    In the past, you needed an endorsement on your class C, but they changed the
    requirements to a Class A for vehicles over 26,000 GCWR, and dropped the
    requirement for those vehicles under 26,000 GCWR. Please notice the main
    difference, 26,000 GCWR means 26,000lbs Gross Combined Weight Rating. That
    is the GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) of the tow vehicle plus the GVWR
    of the trailer, so it does not matter if the truck or trailer is running
    empty. Also any trailer that is rated 10,000lbs or over (non RV trailer)
    requires the driver to have a valid Class A CDL (this is also a Federal
    requirement, all states have the same requirements for CDL now.) You cannot
    tow any tag along trailer over 10,000lbs (RV or otherwise) without a Class A
    You can tow up to 15,000lbs of 5th wheel RV trailer with an
    endorsement for your Class C license. But if you have horses in that
    trailer, you must have a Class A CDL. Also if your hitch is a gooseneck and
    not a 5th wheel style, you need a CDL for anything 10,000lbs and over.

A non commercial Class A license is only for towing 5th wheel RV trailers
    with over 15,000 lb GVWR. You cannot use a Non Commercial CDL to tow
    anything other than a 5th wheel RV!!!!!

It takes a Non Commercial Class A or Class B license to drive a 40 foot
    motorhome, you are exempt up to 39' 11". The CHP has started to enforce this
    law since last year, previously, I was able to drive my 43' Wanderlodge on a
    Class C not any more.

Now a friend of mine was stopped by CHP in CA and here's what he was driving:

1 Ton Dodge 3500, hauling an EMPTY 14,000 GVW 25' gooseneck on a class C.
    The final tally after all 18 infractions were added up totaled about $9600.

First and foremost:

No Commercial CDL
    No Motor Carrier Permit
    No Logbook
    No Medical
    No Stickers

Etc.,etc. What is amazing as I had been towing the same setup for the last
    8 years. Ignorance means nothing.......

And to Jim in Connecticut, I stopped running my trailer in CT a few years ago due to the stories about your DOT.
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2008