1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone else suscribe to Accuweather?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BayviewLawn, Dec 7, 2005.

1. BayviewLawn

BayviewLawn Member

I siogned up for Accuweather premium package for 7.95 a month.It seems like an informative site.
    However for my area there calling for maybe a 1/2 inch of snow by tommorow and the local weather on the news says 2-4 inches!

Obviously ill wait and see whos right but does anyone else have Accuweather and if so how do find them to be on accuracy?Im hoping there right and not the local news!:sleeping:

2. BDB

BDB Senior Member

I have Accuweather on my Nextel. Forcasts, radar, current warnings and its portable! It's just like the rest of them guessing. For the most part they have been pretty close.

3. JMR

JMR Senior Member

I had Accuweather-Pro for a couple of years. I got a kcik out of reading Joe Bastardi column. He was fairly accurate at predicting long-range trends, but they were no more accurate than anyone else. As far as tomorrows forecast................Most people and sites are NOWcasters. That can't forecast squat. The last 2 minor storms we had were supposed to be dustings until it started snowing then they said 3"s. Yesterday they said 2" and we got a dusting. I just keep myself and my equipment ready to go at a moments notice. We take turns waking up every couple hours whenever there is any type of snow or nasty weather forecasted. Looks like it's my turn to wake up every couple of hours tonight. :)

4. BATTLIN_BLAZES

BATTLIN_BLAZES Member

I don't subscribe I just use the free version on the internet, gives me all the info I need. And their guess is as good as anybodys but seem to be pretty close.

5. BayviewLawn

BayviewLawn Member

Ya i guess they all guess.Accuweather said dusting today and we got 2 inches so far.I dont really see a need to pay $8 for someone to guess though...heck i can do that!

6. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

If you find the local national weather service's website for your area, they usually have an hourly update on the forecast for you.

My local one, if there's any precip falling, they update a short-term forecast even quicker.

It's all free, and if you know what you're doing, sort of, you can put the icon on the desktop of your computer, so your local updated forecast is only a click away at 1am, 2am, 3am.....

As for the radio, TV, or other sites, you have to remember that they're forecasting in general, over an area that covers 100 sq miles or more, and you can have 2" at your house, but 5 miles down the road it's sunshine, or moonshine, depending on the time of day.

7. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I predict 2 feet of snow every week this winter.

With that said, am i a meteorologist now!!!lol, jk:waving: i don't see the need for a service like that, just my opinion tho

8. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Skilling in Chicago land is the best or most accurate. I have Accuweather premium and it is a lil better then the free one but not by much. So far they are running about 50 /50 for accuracy on storms. They did peg the last storm but only 15 or 20 hours in advance. Skilling was watching it 4 days in advance and said up to 3" and that was what we got. Accuweather said up to 2". So for 7.95 dont expect much more then the free service just no pop ups (which Aol blocks anyway). The radar is better but the forecasting is sub par, which I guess is about the same as the weather channel. lol
    Todd