1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

does anyone else find it odd...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by crazymike, Dec 3, 2004.

1. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

that they are so strict about the use of certain colour flashing lights.

IE, around here police have red/blue flashing lights.

Fire uses red/white

Ambulance I think blue/red

Snowplows are blue

Construciton is amber

etc...

They can find you for using the incorrect lights if you are caught. However, if you ask the average cop, they usually don't know which colour lights represent which off hand.

I would say maybe 3% of civillians know which lights represent which. When they see blinking lights they get out of the way.

I just find it odd they are so strict yet nobody knows which is which anyways. They should atleast have campaigns to drivers know which are which. Just an obsevation...

2. rclay11541

rclay11541 Member

most people in my area know the differance. I used to tow and when i was going to a police call I would turn on the amber strobes. Very rarley did people move out of my way and i ushally had to lean on the horn and flash the headlights too. Never understood that people know theres an accident up ahead from all the traffic yet they see the guy who takes the accident away and wont move?

IN NJ
    Amber- Use caution, tow trucks, plow trucks, DOT, roadworkers, garbage trucks,

Red & Blue- police

Red & White- fire

Red&white&blue-ambulance

Green-Indicates incodent commander on scene

Blue only-Volunter EMS/Fire

The only time you are required by law in the state of NJ to move is when the lights have red in them.

3. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

people know between construction/towing and emergency. But as far as between all the emergency vehicles, etc... it's fuzzy.

4. intlco

intlco Senior Member

The past 3-4 years, the light issue has become really stupid out west.
    Now, all the patrol and local cops use yellow lights on traffic stops.

So everytime you see a yellow light on the interstate, you first think, maybe construction, then when you get up close, it's the patrol.

The PD's should be forced to use blue or red so people can tell them apart from others.

5. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

recent research has shown that amber is more visable than red or white or blue....

NFPA, National Fire Protection Assoc. guideline require amber lighting on new fire and EMS vehicles....as far as police I don't know the guidelines....

I do know that the mechanical siren and the electronic siren on the ladder truck I ride tend to move people out of the way better than the lights.

Derek

6. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Green on a fire truck or med unit also denotes the presence of a paramedic on board.

7. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I would say most people around here know the difference but i hauled a budds truck back on a trailer and was running my ambers down the highway since i had no trailer lights just the BT/TS in the light bar(you could see it over the dakota, and do as I say not as i do, i know I was still wrong) And i had a handfull of people pull off the road for me :confused: Had me thinking WTF at first untill it happend again and i relized the whoha's were thining I was a emergency respose vehical or something :confused: :rolleyes:

It should be a national standard though.