1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone else despise when it snows on weekends?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JimMarshall, Feb 2, 2013.

1. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

Just wondering, does anyone else out there in the snow removal world passionately hate weekend storms? I want to spend my weekend relaxing with my family, not working.... I do enough of that already during the week.
  2. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

and it just sucks when you have to get up early too.
  3. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Weekend snows are the best no need to rush anything salt extra light if its sunny out...
  4. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

Nope. Because snow & ice control in winter is what I do. It's a career.
  5. downtoearthnh

downtoearthnh Senior Member

Ummm, if snow is your business, there is no choosing when you are going to be called. Time for a new line of work if the desire is a predictable 9-5 with a guaranteed check. It is never going to be the case with a service industry that is dependant on the weather!
  6. Blizzard1980

Blizzard1980 Senior Member

Maybe snow shouldn't be your line of business then? I'd rather be out on weekends and nights anyway bcs i can't stand all the idiots on roads.
  7. lawnboy2121

lawnboy2121 Senior Member

Weekends r the best time for snow
  8. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

What? Are you kidding? Weekend is the best, no rush hour traffic, a lot of business closed so no rush..Thumbs Up
  9. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

I'll take snow during the week, weekends, holidays, any day of the week works for me!
  10. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

11. ygim

ygim Member

Damn straight!!!:D
  12. JimMarshall

from NW PA

Don't get me wrong, I love my job, and have been doing it long enough that I am used to doing it whenever nature calls, but when I already work a 50-60 hour week, it can hold off and not snow on the weekends...

And what do you guys mean there is no rush on the weekends?

Out of the ~50 commercial accounts I service, all of them except for 1 Dr. Office, and 3 Banks work their regular business hours on Saturdays, and Sundays..... Plus most of them are busier with more traffic.
  13. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

I love snow on the weekends, churches and schools are closed so no rush and less stress. just have to make sure lots are clear for sat night/sun morning mass.
  14. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

i would rather plow at night .The only time i hate it to snow is on a holiday other than that it can really snow anytime
  15. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Why do people always crying they can't have their cake and eat it too?

If one has a good paying job and wants his weekends off they do not get a 2nd job where they have to be on call 24/7.

Same as a person wanting to be a nurse but complain that hospitals do not close nights, weekends, and, holidays.

Or the chef/wait staff, etc want to work in restaurants yet only want to lunch shifts, no early breakfasts, no nights, weekends, holidays, etc.

Work is slow in the winter for most people that do snow. Last time I worked it snowed on a Saturday, 1/26. It looks like I may get to work Sun, 2/3.

I never complain that is snows on a weekend. I am happy to make some much needed money.

16. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

I don't give a crap about time off on the weekends, in fact, I'd rather my time be off during the week so I dont have to share time at the stores with the weekenders. It's always ten times more difficult to get anything accomplished during the weekend.

Now, lets talk about trying to plow a mall or a stop and shop (grocery store) on the weekend. Now that SUCKS...

All and all, I don't really care when it snows, just as long as it snows!
  17. siteworkplus

siteworkplus Senior Member
    from mass

Whats a weekend

My week never ends

Ive been working 7 days a week for as long as i can remember
    I usually have to ask my wife what day it is

When I schedule time off it is always centered around the ongoing project at the time

Dont get me wrong I enjoy my time off but the name of the day rarely enters into it
  18. JimMarshall

from NW PA

I'm sorry, where did I say that plowing was a 2nd job? It's my only job. I work a 50-60 hour week doing payroll, accounting, bidding, inventory management, HR, purchasing, and anything else that might need done. I could stay at home on the weekends, but if I help out, that gets everything done quicker.... and guys home to their families quicker.
  19. JimMarshall

from NW PA

I agree for getting things done, week days are the best, however, they are not the best for spending time with family.
  20. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Comp the time somewhere else. In the fire service we work a rotating schedule that sometimes means weekend days for a while, with the tradeoff being days off during the week. I find days off during the week to be great for getting stuff done, or doing nothing at all! And like others have said, plowing weekends can be less stressful with people in less hurry to get out, or places like my commercial lots not as needy