1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone else check the weather every 15 minutes

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NicholasMWhite, Jan 31, 2011.

1. NicholasMWhite

NicholasMWhite Senior Member

I was just wondering if I'm the only one who checks the weather every 15 minutes leading up to a storm. I usually look at www.noaa.gov to see what snow fall totals to expect.

I stress myself out way too much!
  2. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

nope, usually every five minutes.
  3. Alpha Property

Alpha Property Senior Member

I'm guilty aswell
  4. NicholasMWhite

Yeah, that's actually me too, I'm just in denial.
  5. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

Are you kidding? 15 minutes! Right now the weather channel has been on since I woke up. I had the National Weather Service on the scanner and have checked all my favorite sources on the computer several times. I could never go 15 minutes without an update!

My wife says I'm obsessed. I Love storms!
  6. NicholasMWhite

So what's everyone's favorite website?

Like I said I use www.noaa.gov for predicted totals and then I use www.weather.com for radar maps. I have looked at www.wunderground.com but they just take what noaa says and raise the totals an inch or two, so I don't look at them anymore.

I check all the local news websites for video, but I take their predictions with a grain of salt because I know they are just trying to make it seem as bad as possible so people watch more often.
  7. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Nope just 68 times in 17 hours....wait that is every fifteen minutes I NEED HELP.
  8. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I have just given up looking at the forecast. Everytime I look the snow totals just keep falling. Yesterday morning the total was 19.3 inches, I kept watching yesterday and it droped as low as 12.4. Now today it's at 7 inches. I guess they just like to hit the panic button so everyone freaks out, then they let you off the hook with just a decent snowfall. I went as far as lining up extra help yesterday, now this morning I had to call and cancel on the extra help. I hate weather forecasters!!!
  9. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth Member

I'm guilty. I check the weather non-stop. We have one GREAT weather blog here in Louisville (the WAVE3 weather blog) and one that covers the whole state of KY(kyweathercenter.com)....these are very in-depth and accurate. Always updated, and I check them always.

Always looking at Henry Margusity's videos and discussions on AccuWeather. I NEVER look at the Weather.com, they are horribly vague and inaccurate.

http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/greenstein/models.html <--- good ggem, nam, gfs, etc. model page

http://wintercast.tripod.com/id14.html <---- good snowfall model page

I am always obsessing about the next storm. Spend too much time online this winter.....
  10. mule585

mule585 Member

I have 4 diff. Weather apps on my phone so I'm never left in the dark when the snows coming. Noaa is by far the best in "guessing" when n where n how much is coming n top notch radar.
  11. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

ya I check it constantly. And I agree, the NWS (NOAA) is probably the best. At least my weather brach (milwaukee-sulivan) gives really nice graficnow casts showing exactly whats going on when theres snow or rain. And there totals are usually pretty accurate.

But I agree, i hate the constant chaging of the totals. The other day, they said by wednesday we will see like 12-20 inches, then yesterday it was like 29-30, now this morning its 21 inches. I understand its difficult to predict the exact path that storm is going to take, but its just nervracking as im sure it is for them too.
  12. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Senior Member

Yup, my wife and I think I'm nuts! We're right.
  13. LawnGuy110

LawnGuy110 Senior Member

This...I tend to get extremely excited...even when it isnt that much snow
  14. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

I figured out by now when all my sources update, and its not every 15 minutes. I check our big 3 local news channels, and NOAA/NWS. Weather Channel is too vague and Accuweather calls for twice as much snow than anyone else. I like NWS for their Area Discussions, I have to weed through alot of abbreviations and terms but it give a real good story of what's going on now and what will happen from now until next week. I do get all worked up though, and I wish I could relax since I won't until sometime Thursday as it looks now.
  15. Neige

Neige Sponsor

When its not snowing I check 4 times a day. I have 3 places that I check when its updated. I know the times. When its actually going to snow I check the radar every 30 minutes when I can. I have given up on them guessing snow fall totals. I prepare for the worst and see what happens. I am more interested in when it will start or finish. Nothing drives me more loco then when they say it will stop at 10am and its still snowing at 3 pm. The best in when they are giving a snow total of 4 inches and there already is 9 down.
    They are calling for 8 inches over the next 2 days, I am mentally prepared for 24. Maybe I am just mental:D
  16. PlatinumService

PlatinumService Senior Member

yeah 15 mins seems about right.the wife thinks i have a problem and she might be right because the forcast doesnt seem change every 15 mins. Environment Canada only updates 3 times a day LOL
  17. NicholasMWhite

Lol, well Noaa doesn't seem to have any logic to their updating.

If anyone has any insight on how or when they update, please share.
  18. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

tymusicI could care less about their snow fall totals. When the system is approaching on radar, I will update it every 10 or 15 minutes. After that its on with the machines and crew. If I cant see the communication tower lights on the "Pinnacle" (high rock above our town) then I know the system isnt letting up. When I see the lights , I will check the radar to see how much longer we got to fight the storm.
  19. JpLawn

JpLawn Senior Member

I'm guilty. I sleep with the weather channel on and the radar loaded on my black berry. I'm constantly watching it and stressing my self out. Even though we have had a ton of snow I still worry about every storm.
  20. Bibbo

Bibbo Senior Member

guilty.... 4 different sources every 15-20 min my girlfriend thinks im crazy... o well shes still sticking around :p