1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone do this??? (stakes)

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by alwayz-plowin, Oct 24, 2010.

1. alwayz-plowin

alwayz-plowin Senior Member

OK well in my area one of our local low ballers made these pretty nice post card sized/glossy/ flyers and is flier with them also this guy Is already posting these things on wooden stakes on ever house he's plowin' this year. Its not even Halloween yet!

I usually just but a ton of green plastic stakes and i know this driveways mine but does anyone put a stake with a card like shown below on it?
    Is there really any reason?
    Does it help with advertising?

(Once again these are NOT my cards!)

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I think it's a good idea.
  3. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

Looks good. Go make yourself one and find out.. Just remember, the guy is probably doing the bait and switch. The bottom says "not all homes will qualify".
  4. Neige

Neige Sponsor

We have been doing it for years, and there is not better form of advertising. We started staking our drives this week, and the phone has been ringing none stop. Most calls we are getting are from our old clients renewing. We also get lots of calls from the new home owners, they see the signs and know who to call.
  5. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

I agree 100%. If you are going to take the time to stake, why not advertise your business at the same time.
  6. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

we have been in talks with our vinyl guy for this. we will be buying the corrugate plastic sheets and cutting them into strips. Our stakes fit right into the corrugated holes and he will be vinyling the sheets with our company and number.

I dont like to advertise prices though, a clean driveway when all the others are still full of snow is the best advertisement you'll get.
  7. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

that does sound like a pretty good idea. I would like to see pics after you get it done.
  8. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Great Idea and im sure he will pick-up many customers....Back in the day when i was Not plowing just for Beer money...We would do this in neighborhoods to gain a cluster of homes in one area...The houses we staked with cards on the stakes...Then we would Flyer the crap out of the area....Gain Alot of houses this way...Better to have a cluster of houses in one area at a little lower prices..Then driving around town chasing single drives..Just my opinion...Im sure their are some Experts that will disagree....:eek:
  9. alwayz-plowin

But really staking before clean ups?!?!?!?!!?!??! DUMB!
    lol i hope all the kids pull them out! (thats what usually happens!)
    i dont really care...

Maybe i'll put neon blinking signs on my stakes this year!
  10. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Not a Bad Idea..:nod:...I agree with you on its a little early to stake around here...But, it caught your eye..:eek:
  11. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

good idea

the temps have dropped, we've had some white stuff, that gets people thinking. hammering a neighborhood allows you to bid cheaper since costs are less. if your neighbor has xyz plowing why not go with them too? the easier it is to find info for the consumer the better, so if all you have to do is read a number on a stake, well thats pretty easy.

its not lowballing if your making a profit and running a sustainable business. sometimes the market changes and if we don't keep up with the changes,well then it may be time to hand the baton over. -i'm not saying this to get into a pissing match, heck i don't know you or this fellow so don't take it personally (if you were, if not never mind)
  12. mrsnowman

mrsnowman Senior Member

I just wish that the lowballers would stop stealing all of our stakes! Many of our accounts start with a certain number of stakes and we are lucky to have half of them remaining at the end of the season, not including the stakes that our crews clip.

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

is that $160 bucks for the entire plowing season?
  14. snowman6

snowman6 Senior Member

I did do the signs on my stakes. But like mrsnowman I am lucky to end up having any left and it just seems like a waste of money. But for the short two weeks that my stakes were still where I put them I picked up 10 or so accounts from them. Just my 2 cents.:waving:
  15. alwayz-plowin

Nahh he dropped 5 in my parents mail box
    (My parents live in the city where he works then i live about 10-15 miles away from there *where he doesnt work)
    Parents told me about him..

Yeah the company i work for/ manage we do alot of big stuff.... like we plow small sub divisions, commercial stuff( churches, nurseries) , a trailer park therefore we get lots of advertising from there
    the reason i say i dont really care is because as long at these jerks arent taking my commercial snow accounts i really dont care because i dont really like doing driveways...
    they dont bring in as much money as the commercial stuff does.
  16. jlouki01

jlouki01 Senior Member

Well on the bright side you know where all of his customers are and how much to charge them:)
  17. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I think it is a great idea
  18. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I too think its a great idea but if some one put something in one of my driveways I think I would be making a phone call, that would piss my off!
  19. PrimoSR

PrimoSR Senior Member

I think it is a good idea as well. I was just wondering why nobody does that in this area and if I should order/make some for myself. I mean landscape companies do it, home remodeling contractors do it, home security companies do it, pesticide/fertilizer companies do it....there has got to be a reason so many people take the time/energy/money to do it right?
  20. lawnlandscape

lawnlandscape Senior Member

Good idea to label the stakes along the road, but bad idea to put your pricing on them in my opinion. Don't really understand how they could have straight pricing on that anyway. The first thing I thought when I looked at it anyway was $160 for what? Per month, per season, per push (hopefully not..lol). His advertising is not even done in a way that a normal person could understand. Also, if this was in front of my house, I would be a little upset, because I would not want all my neighbor's to be knowing what I am paying for snow removal. Its just not there business.

For $160 he can have them. He won't be making any money anyway if that's a seasonal price as you say. Looks like another fly by night company.

I have seen professional signs that clip to the stakes that they can put your company logo and phone number on, but their pricey and many of them would probably disappear. :realmad: