1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Does anybody subcontract for salting??

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Brian's Lawn, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Brian's Lawn

Brian's Lawn Senior Member

i was considering getting a V-box for my truck, no plow. my question is does anybody subcontract their salting? and how much do they pay? how much does a V-box spreader cost? can i strap it down instead of bolting it to the bed?

sorry for all the questions

thanks
    -brian-

2. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I just payed $3000.00 for a SS 8' V Box. with a 10.5 briggs. It will do the job for a couple of years. Ive always bolted my V boxs in. I know people that have lost boxes out of the back of there trucks.
    Also ive been asked to sub salting before. It not realy worth it cos i was ofered $80 per hour and he bought the salt. 4 hours of salting = $320.00 if you had your own accounts and put 12 tons down at $150.00 per yard after paying for salt you still would have about $1100.00. I know witch way i would go !

Last edited: Dec 10, 2006
  3. Snowman19

Snowman19 Senior Member

Well Give me there # i will sub for salt!!!

4. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

Im thinking of subbing out my squeegies.

:dizzy:

5. Snowman19

Snowman19 Senior Member

Im going into the "water removal business" It should be a great success

6. Runner

Runner Senior Member

I'll tell you what WE do...we sub out the plowing, so we can have lots all cleared off ready to salt. I don't know of too many people who sub out the salting, but many will hire additional trucks to clear snow for them, to give them more acreage to salt. As a matter of fact,...MANY people low ball the plowing, just so they can have access to the salt. THAT is how you sell salt! I'll be doing more of this next year. I've seen too many people doing it, and making BIG BIG money. I'm tired of hearing about some of these guy around here doing a quarter million or more in salt per season, and me being limited to what we can plow.

7. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

Nice.........