1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Does anybody plow with a International TerraStar?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by gallihersnow, Dec 31, 2012.

1. gallihersnow

gallihersnow Senior Member

I've been looking at class 4/5 trucks, and have been particularly interested in the International TerraStar. I can get a brand new 2013 with a Switch 'N' Go system and 11' trash body for $60,000. That's about $5,000 cheaper than a similarly equipped F-550. I can also get a 2006 GMC 4500 4x4 diesel with Switch 'N' Go system with two bodies(flatbed and contractor dump) with 39,000 miles for $36,500(not including shipping the truck from NV to NC). The GMC is a nice truck at a very good price, BUT the truck has no warranty left on it, and that worries me a little. I'd like to hear from some TerraStar owner's on how their truck is holding up to the abuse the landscape/snow removal industry puts on it. I would also like to hear some opinions on the new truck vs used truck argument.

2. SDLandscapes VT

SDLandscapes VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

Get the GMC--for that money warranty is a non issue and 39K miles is brand new.

3. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

Doesnt the terrastar have a higher gvwr? That seems like a great price with the s n go

4. gallihersnow

The TerraStar has a GVWR of 19,500.

5. SDLandscapes VT

from Vermont

I have a switch and go and to appreciate that setup to the fullest you really need a truck in the 26000 to 33000 class--also get the hydraulic clutch pump for the hoist.

6. gallihersnow

I've looked at an F-6/750 sized truck, but I can't justify a truck of that size and cost at this point. The F-550/5500 sized truck is perfect for me right know.

7. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I second SD..The Kodiak has a dmax and 4wd. With only 39k and sng, its a good deal. International makes great trucks, but without 4wd, I wouldn't.

8. SDLandscapes VT

from Vermont

So of the two options listed for galliher I definitely would choose the GMC. I would encourage him though to look further and not settle for either of these options. The Terrastar is a nice truck, but you can find used internationals with low mileage and put a new S & G on for peanuts--and get a bigger truck 26K GVW. I say all this because I own a S & G and we primarily do landscaping. The S & G cans have totally made our equipment trailers a thing of the past as we haul excavators and skid steers in the cans. You can't haul this type of equipment with a truck of GVW 19.5K and thus hinder your flexibility with the S & G. He is also from NC--I could plow with my 2wd international here in VT with good weight in the back no problem so I don't think 4 x 4 is necessary. I just don't want him to buy short and then realize man I could do so much more if I had only........

9. SDLandscapes VT

from Vermont

10. gallihersnow

SD,

What do you think of this F-650? It looks like a screaming deal to me with 10 cans.

11. gallihersnow

12. SDLandscapes VT

from Vermont

Seems steep--your best deal will be an international and it will be the best value too. No frills, just a solid work truck

13. gallihersnow

Would you recommend staying with the 4700 like your truck? Or moving up to a newer 4300? I've found plenty of ex-rental 4300 cab/chassis for between $10-15,000.

14. crawla

crawla Member

Also the hooklift weighs more but if you are switching cans out alot its worth it. I built a F650 with a SNG this spring and I can only legal carry 4.5-5 tons. I bought a used box truck and took the box off, shortened the frame, mounted an I pack and the SNG.

15. gallihersnow

I feel that the SnG would probably be better for my needs as a landscaper, BUT that 650 was attractive to me because it comes with 10 dumpsters and I could add dumpster rental to my list of services.

16. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

The 4300s are great trucks. I just got an 02 and everything is amazing. Power. Turning. Interior. I want to add a roll off system to another truck in a year or two and woudnt hesitate to do it on a 4300