1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

does anybody plow with a ford f 650

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mc1, Aug 12, 2008.

1. mc1

mc1 Senior Member

i am looking at an 04 f 650 with a 10 ft plow on it i dont want to waste 44k if its gonna suck the owner says it kicks butt but i dont want find out any diifrent the first storm out
    any input would be appreciated

thanks matt

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It will suck in small lots but with weight in it, in large lots it will plow well. What kind of box is on it?

3. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Its an F-650, its a beast. What more can I say? wesport :nod:

Not sure, but if an F-350 can get the job done, heck people plow with an F-150, but the 650 has the same Powerstroke in it as the 350's doesnt it? So basically its a beefed up 350. Should be a good truck. But hey, what do I know? Seriously though, I dont know that much, But Id take the truck.

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Dave's pretty smart.

I have a F800 (now it would be a 650) and a F750. Load 'em up with ballast and they'll push anything.

5. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

The F-650 isnt even comparable to an F-350 kev entirely different animal and no they dont have the powerstroke engine. My bosses has a cat diesel and an allison transmission. '

I wouldnt want to plow with it unless it was in very big lots with nothing in the way.

6. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

I have plowed with a f-650 10ft fisher on it, the thing does kick put. And it can knock a lot out in no time. But it does suck in tight lots, like jd said!:salute:

7. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

yes they can come with the powerstroke engine, also can choose cat or cummins as well.. it would be ideal for large lots and roadways.

8. jimaug87

jimaug87 Senior Member

I drive an F650 box for deliveries at work. I can tell you it's powerful, but a pain to maneuver. If you have a large lot and you're looking at straight pushes or streets, go for it.

Though I've never had this one in snow.

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

How many GVW's is an F650?

10. Mark Oomkes

Actually, you have the option of the PS, Cummins or Cat in the 650\750's. Cat and Cummins have the Allison, really not sure about the PS. Wouldn't even consider one in a truck this size.

11. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

I guess you learn something new every day all the ones ive seen have the cat engine but Ive heard they are offered with the cummins.

12. Mark Oomkes

Looks like a bunch of us posted at once.

Dave, not sure anymore, but when I got mine, you could get a 26K CDL beater or 28K. That's all I remember being available.

13. LawnProLandscapes

yea id probaly go with the cat engine. i couldnt see the PS being very productive in that size truck and have nothing against cummins just like cat more.

14. Mark Oomkes

The Cats are allegedly throw aways, but I haven't had any problems with mine

15. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

if your worried about the size of that 650... ill trade you staight up for a dodge 2500 .....:jester:
    and mine does have the best motor ever made = Cummis

you guys are silly thinking other wise....lol:dizzy::drinkup:

16. mc1

mc1 Senior Member

the truck has a hook lift on it that weighs about 3500 lbs i can put one of my dumpsters in with wieght for ballast the truck weighs 11k empty the truck has a cat motor in it

17. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

I also learned something new, I never knew you could get them with the Cat in it. Thats AWESOME!

We had an F-550 at work about 2 weeks ago. It had the same Powerstroke as a 350. But it had MASSIVE axles, the hitch reciever was also HUGE. It was pretty much just a larger 350. Thats where my reasoning came from.

18. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

SOMETHING ABOUT THIS STATEMENT IS VERY UNBECOMING:DELITE1MSMITH

F650 IS A HUGE TRUCK IF THE PRICE IS RIGHT BUY IT AND IF YOU DONT HAVE COMMERCIAL LOTS BIG ENOUGH TO USE IT ON .....USE IT FOR A SUB TRUCK FOR SOMEONE ELSE IF YOU COULD FIND THE WORK :drinkup:BEST OF LUCK IF YOU GET IT

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  19. LawnProLandscapes

hahahahahahahahah :sleeping:

the 450 and 550's come with the powerstroke or 6.8 V10's... yea they look like beefed up one ton's but show some subtle differences.

20. Mark Oomkes

The nicest thing about a 650 is I can plow with 6 tons of salt and still be 100% legal.

And it will out turn my '04 550 while carrying twice as much salt.

The gearing makes them torque monsters.

Just wish it had a Blizzard on it.