1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

does any one plow with a half ton chevy?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by MO TOYS, Aug 26, 2006.

1. MO TOYS

MO TOYS Senior Member

I was wondering if any one out there plows heavilly with a half ton chevy and if so do they push large amounts of snow well? How a bout a blizzard condition,:confused: why do the 3/4 ton always get all the glory?
  2. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

One of my subs has a 1/2 ton chevy, 2001. It plowed good, except it really needs timbrens on the front. Otherwise, it pushes snow like a champ.
  3. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

lots of people plow with 1/2 ton's chevys all the time. my first plow truck was a 78 k1500, the plow was so light weight it would trip on a dog turd. it made me mad all the time.
  4. MO TOYS

MO TOYS Senior Member

lol what kind or plow did you have on it?
  5. dubeb31

dubeb31 Member

i have a sierra with a 7.5 curtis and it pushes great...need some timbrens tho....
  6. winged1dur

winged1dur Senior Member

the plow was so light weight it would trip on a dog turd...........now thats funny!
  7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Its the extra capacity and heaver components that a 3/4 ton offers, witch I believe is the minimum necessary to do commercial plowing efficiently. Just add up the weight of the plow, every thing you put on or in the truck from you to bags of salt a snow-blower etc etc. and it it easy to end up needing a 1 ton.
    Sure, you can plow snow with a well set up 1/2 ton, heck you can plow with a golf cart if you want:waving:
  8. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

This is the pictures section, so I want to see some pics dang it! :realmad:
  9. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Here's my 06 silverado, Thinking of putting timberins on this winter. Wouldnt plow with anything smaller than an 8' like I got. Put 15 40KG bags of salt on the back and your laughing, rarely even need 4WD with the BFG All Terrains. Just make sure you put a tranny cooler on it.

10. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I have (am trading in) a 1993 Chevy 1500. I have a 7.5' Fisher and it plows great. You just need to go slow and not beat it. Plowed my long, long driveway and 20 car parking lot, and 5 to 6 accounts all last year without a problem. Here is a pic of a normal size pile it will push with ease. Hardly ever spun the tires while pushing. It has a good low gear.

11. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

it had a ST 7.5 meyer with a "behind the bumper mount". i put one ton leaf springs on the front, that helped out a lot. it was a a 78 k 1500, probably would compare to a new k3500 in the front end. you can't beat the old chevys for plow trucks....
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2006
  12. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Half ton here. Truck had no problems pushing. But it always let me know I had 680 pounds of steel hanging off the front. 3/4's will carry the weight much better, come with beefier drivelines among other things. I put two seasons on my truck and I can say now that I should have gotten a 3/4.
  13. JLK 1500

JLK 1500 Junior Member

Ive always used half tons and still use them. I swear by my standard-cab step-side half ton with a 350 in it. great for doing residential and getting into those tight areas for dragging out the snow. cranked up the t bars 4 turns and it handles the plow a lot better. It will be back on the road this year with 3/4ton springs due to the hopper style salter and the extras this thing will be hauling. One more tip I'm sure you know aux tranny coolers will save your tranny.
  14. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

:rolleyes: HUUUMMMM nope! it's not the pic section:eek: lol

FLASHMAN Member

Just got my 7-1/2' Curtis installed yesterday on my '98 Sierra K1500 by the factory store in Worcester, MA... They did the Timbrens, and I got thier new badass pistol grip controller... the truck only dips about an inch with the timbrens on it... Can't WAIT for the SNOWWWWWW.....
  16. Boondox

Boondox Senior Member

Nice to see another Curtis user. How about ragging on them to become a sponsor here so we can get our own Curtis forum? I complained to my sales rep and the regional distributor; the more complaints they get the better our chances.

I looked at the pistol grip controller but was reluctant to spend the extra $200. Went with the joystick at first, but my dog kept using it while I was plowing so this year I switched over to the touchpad. Haven't tried it yet, but that pistol grip sure looked sweet!

FLASHMAN Member

The pistol grip is real nice... I was going to go with the window mount joystick too, and then I saw that pistol grip unit... it's GREAT... EXTREMELY heavy duty housing, cord, and plug, and they mounted the headlight switch out of sight down by the plug... I'm VERY happy with the install and application, now I just need to decide what to use for ballast... I'm thinking just a few bags of sand...
  18. fast68

fast68 Junior Member

on the older trucks you just add another leaf or two up front to hold up the weight, no biggie :D

imho axle ratio has more to do with being able to pull or push with a truck than anything else,

if you had a 2.73 k10 vs. a 4.10 k-10 i really think the 4.10 one will put more low rpm torque out and therefore push better from a dead stop, easier anyways

but more engine rpm of course

which is the whole point, more rpm= more power

good luck

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

yeah i have a curtis as well, great plow, i got mine with the window mount joystick and love it.