1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Does any one have stacks on ther diesle truck?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mercer_me, Oct 30, 2008.

1. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Does any one have stacks on their diesel truck? Do they increase or decrease horse power? And do you get better or worse millage with them. My cousin had 8" stacks on his Dodge 2500 and he didn't like them because he couldn't put anything in the back bed without it melting, and he couldn't keep them tite. But they did look good and they were wicked loud.:D
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  2. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

I've run with stacks, awsome loud and puffs soot nice. They were good for melting stuff in the box. i think I might run a single 5" this winter. No gains in performance nor fuel eco.
  3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Dual 8" stacks? Holy ****! I thought 2 4" or 5" stacks were plenty for a truck. Most guys only run a single 5 and its enough.
  4. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

He got them for free off a tractor trailor and one a dent in it.
  5. archer39

archer39 Member
    from PA

they don't make a difference in power. I never had run into a problem with melting things in my bed, then again i don't use my bed as a trash can either. When i need all 8ft of the bed i have a platform made up that will go over the Y pipe. I lose about 4inches height wise but got all 8 foot back.
  6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Yup you want them as loud as you can get them.
    I'll tell ya why.
    So you wake up your customers when you plow their driveway.
    This way, they will know you were there at 4am..
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  7. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

I must be getting old, but snofarmer hit it right on

the head, why in the hell would make anyone want to do that with their truck. It is much like many of the new 4x4's I see, they tear off perfectly good stainless steel exhaust, and in 6 months one of the rear hangars from the Midas or homemade job breaks and one of the pipes is hanging down and in two years it's rotted out. Each to their own I suppose...
  8. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

I'm not a huge fan of stacks on pickups, but to each their own. I'm going to put a stack on my new project truck but its a little more fitting IMO.

9. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

They appear nice..but stacks are not needed; just another thing to maintain from vibration.