1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Does an amber roof strobe scratch paint

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by TJDMAX, Oct 3, 2005.

TJDMAX Junior Member

I'm new to plowing. I was looking for a good price on a magnetic mount rotating amber roof light. Do they scratch the roof paint? I only plan on doing about four driveways.
  2. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

i had one on my old ford, and yes it strached the roof paint. I am mounting mine on my backrack when I get it.
  3. bigjoe871

bigjoe871 Senior Member

Go to a sign shop and get a piece of magnetic backing as big as the whole light. Put a heavy coat of wax on the area and lay that piece of magnetic on there for a few days before putting the light on. Wont scratch the paint and light still comes on and off for the car wash.
  4. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

We own a towing business as well. We have this problem with the magnetic "tow lights" we have to use on towed vehicles. We simply put a sheet of paper down first and set the light on top of it. It keeps the light from scratching without losing it's grip, and you can just throw it away when done.
  5. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

The last light I bought has a material on the bottom, like cotton or something, to prevent it from scratching. I've left the light on the truck for over a year and not one scratch, even if I slide it across the roof!
  6. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

What I've used is duct tape around the magnets never a problem...
  7. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Yes they do hurt the paint, if your only doing a couple driveways I would'nt even worry about putting a light on the truck..
  8. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Go to a sign shop and get a 4" square piece of scrap 7mil vinyl. They should give it to you for nothing. You could even get a color that matches your truck. Put it on the roof and your light will hold perfectly. We have been doing this for years and when you are ready to take the light off for the summer, you just peel off the vinyl. No sticky residue like duct tape leaves! :drinkup:

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

i never had that problem with my light.
  10. MR PLOW

MR PLOW Junior Member

Amber Lights

I have a magnetic amber light on my dodge and never had a problem
    My light came with a piece of rubber on the magnet and I have
    been using it for the last 2 years.
  11. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

the newer magnetic lights have rubber suction cups over the magnets, so they do not scratch. I would agree that if only doing 4 drives the light is not necessary. i have the federal signal dual halogens with mirror in the center and it has been awesome. very practical for what i use it for.