1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Does advertising require commercial plates? (ohio)

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Mattsautobody, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Mattsautobody

Mattsautobody Member

I just bought some magnetics for my truck, but a couple of people claimed that I would have to have comm. plates or I would be hassled by the cops. I didn't think it really matter. any thoughts??

2. b&b landscapes

b&b landscapes Member

actually here in ohio the state highway patrol has checkpoints setup because some loser had nothing better to do than complain about truck on a state route. They set up about once a month and stop every truck from landscapers trucks all the way up to rigs looking for all the things they can. You must have commercial tags over a certain weight i think, i know they weigh every truck they pull over, kinda funny to see landscaper trucks on scales but they are doing it just north of cincinnati

unless im wrong, if your truck resembles a work truck you must have commercial tags.. ie: ladder racks, trailer, dump bed, plow, special lights(amber strobe), signage, etc.....

3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Here in Northwest Ohio, they don't care one way or another. According to my understanding of the law, you should have comm. plates if your making money with your truck. I have plowed of 17 years and just recently changed my plates over to comm. I have always only had magnetic signs, but I decided I have pushed the limit long enough.

4. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

Whether you advertise on it or not if you use the truck to make money then you need commercial plates. weight does not matter.

5. chevyman51

chevyman51 Senior Member

where did you see this at?

6. b&b landscapes

b&b landscapes Member

WRONG THERE

your commercial tags are based on weight.

7. b&b landscapes

b&b landscapes Member

747 from rt4 to milliken, havent seen them since sept but the had Brickman's truck on the portable scales last time i seen them and i was laughing my a$$ off

8. Puddle of Oil

Puddle of Oil Member

Ive mowed/maintained and plowed a police dept for over 10 years and they haven't said a word to me. the chief knows me and knows what i do and he hasn't done a thing. i wouldn't be to concerned about it.

9. clark lawn

from NE ohio

the weight sticker is but not whether or not you need them.

10. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

until someone calls on you

11. b&b landscapes

b&b landscapes Member

the whole point is ........ you said weight dont matter and it does

12. clark lawn

from NE ohio

but to answer the OP, if you use it to make money you n eed commercial plates

13. b&b landscapes

b&b landscapes Member

WOW!!! sorry clark that i was just trying to be a little helpful seeing that he asked that question then i felt he should have been made aware of the weight issues involved in commercial tagging in this state as well.... instead of being a plain jerk about how technical the cut and dry answer should be..... some of us here actually care about our fellow plowers instead throwing a "he didnt ask about weight" answer out against someone elses answer who was being helpful
    :salute:

14. clark lawn

from NE ohio

well thats a whole other topic. i just went to a seminar about that a couple months ago. you have to take the GVWR of your truck and the GVWR of the largest trailer you will pull, that will give you your GCWR and that is what you must be stickered at. my 2 dumps are both 1 tons but they are stickered for 22K. the state patrol did the seminar and said they are going to really crack down on that now. one company around here got caught and it cost him over $20K between fines and the costs to sticker everything right.

15. b&b landscapes

b&b landscapes Member

I think they are looking for more "unreasonable" ways to pay for the roads..

16. clark lawn

from NE ohio

about 2 years ago the state was going to do away with the state patrol. i think they are doing anything they can to justify their existance.

17. bsieb

bsieb Junior Member
    from NJ

Not that it matters, but in NJ inspection is based on weight. Comm vs normal plates are based on use. If you use a semi for recreational purposes you can get a regular plate, but based on the weight, it would be self inspection.

18. paradise1229

paradise1229 Senior Member

I see what Clarklawn is saying. Commercial plates needed yes. No matter the weight of the truck. But, The cost of the plates are based on the weight. Commercial plates you need. I turned in 4 guys with non-comm plates plowing commercial lots. I might sound harsh but I won't let that slide.

19. Mattsautobody

Mattsautobody Member

I didn't know. It's only a half ton truck, and if I have to get comms, I'm just gonna get 10k # plates to beat the e-check. I've never heard of anyone really getting busted around cleveland for it unless it was a med/hvy duty truck. and FYI you can use regular plates on large trucks or rv's if you use it for personal use and mark it as "not for hire"

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  20. clark lawn

from NE ohio

dont get in an accident doing commercial work with regular plates onor you will be in a whole mess of legal *****. i got rearended by someone doing that a few years back and it was a mess to deal with.

do you pull a trailer with the truck?

" NOT FOR HIRE" has nothing to do with your plates at all. if you are using your truck for personal use and not biz the regular plates, if you make money then you need comm plates.