1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Does a 4-wheeler w a plow do a decent job?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by CrazyFoo, Oct 18, 2006.

1. CrazyFoo

CrazyFoo Junior Member

I',m considering buying a 4-wheeler with a plow to do my driveway.
    Do they work well?

My driveway is about 210 feet long.
    We get maybe 6 real heavy snowfalls a year and a few average ones.

Would this solution work? If so, what machine you guys recommend to be the best.

Thx!

2. g.moore

g.moore Senior Member

Neighbor plowed with one until I moved in. Anything over about 8" and he was SOL unless it was light and fluffy. He is running a 350 Arctic Cat. A heavy wet snow keeps lifting the blade so he would leave 4" or so and have to go back for round 2 which was then packed by the ATV.

3. DuallySnoPusher

DuallySnoPusher Senior Member

This is what i use!

2003 Arctic Cat 500
    Big Tire Kit
    Plow with deflector and wings

This thing will push a ton of snow, it's a MONSTER!!!

Arctic Cat.jpeg

4. Boondox

Boondox Senior Member

I used one for years to clear snow and it did a fine job with a couple of exceptions. My driveway and road are dirt, so early or late in the season when the ground was thawed using the ATV without digging in was next to impossible. But once the ground was frozen it was great -- fast and nimble! It also had trouble with wet, heavy snow more than a few inches deep. Lastly, if you run out of room to push the snow, the ATV won't do much stacking. Oh, and you need wicked warm gloves or handwarmers!

Pete

5. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

I used to plow my driveway with an '86 Yamaha 225 four wheeler and it did great. I would sit on the back rack if it started to slip. Never had a problem and pushed a lot of snow with it. Friend of mine plows with his Kodiak and just recently put the heated hand grips on it. Very handy when riding in the cold, can't imagine what it will be like when it snows!!

6. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

For six snowfalls and a 210 foot driveway a blower would be more economical. I recently mounted a plow on my Honda Rubicon but I would not purchase a 4-wheeler for the sole purpose of plowing. I have the wheeler for hunting, fishing and general recreation so for $500 I added a plow. Paying $7000-$8000 for a wheeler and plow would not make much sense if that is all you were going to do with it.

You ask if it would work? Yes it would. A 4X4 wheeler with a plow will move alot of snow. The one I currently have is my third one.

7. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

my uncle plows his with a Polaris 700 twin. 4x4 works well. Never had any problems with pushing, and it has all the power you need

8. Summerlawn

Summerlawn Member

Dually - Where did you get the plow and wings for your atv? Thanks

9. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

yeah they so just as nice a job just take long and its cold out there and they make a great toy to have fun on too

10. Brian's Lawn

Brian's Lawn Senior Member

wish i had a 4 wheeler with a plow. :cry:

11. Titan

Titan Junior Member
    from maine

I have an ATV, only good in light snow. Anything deep and heavy, they are useless. You will need to plow many times during the storm-no problem if you are retired.

12. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I plow all my clients with a 2006 Kawasaki Prairie 260 4x4 atv...it's a BEAST!!! It'll plow just about anything I can throw at it with no problems. It plowed through the "Blizzard of '06" here in NJ with no trouble at all! Light or heavy snow...it pushes it all! Plowing with a quad is not only easy and fast, but also a lot of fun!

-Matt

13. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I plow all my clients with a 2006 Kawasaki Prairie 260 4x4 ATV with a 54" Cycle Country plow and Warn 2500LB winch...it's a BEAST!!! It'll plow just about anything I can throw at it with no problems. It plowed through the "Blizzard of '06" here in NJ with no trouble at all! Light or heavy snow...it pushes it all! Plowing with a quad is not only easy and fast, but also a lot of fun!

-Matt

14. Blackwin

Blackwin Member

Have a 2004.5 Polaris 600 Sportsman with a Glacier 5 ft plow.
    The wheeler plows great, only time she slowed down was when I tried to push over 13" of snow, I waited till the storm ended :blush2:

Blackwin

15. kubotazd21

kubotazd21 Member

I have a Honda Foreman 450 with a 5 foot Moose plow. It does great as long as the snow is light and not to heavy. The only problem is when the snow is deep or wet, the front end wants to push to what ever side the blade is angled.

16. For fun i got a 50'' plow for my '03 Arctic Cat 250 4x4. Believe it or not it will surprise the heck out of you if you saw how much it can push (with the tranny in low, of course!) but it's a trooper. This way I can still ride my atv and get some work done. lol

17. jnamo

jnamo Junior Member

Is anyone familiar with the Suzuki LT-250 with the super low Diff. Lock? It is a 1994. It has a ton of power, just wondering if it weighs enough? Should that be a concern for plowing? Thanks!

18. that suzuki is real similar to my arctic cat. At least it's got the same engine/tranny. The low and super low are great on that. My weighs 575# and mine is fine.

19. VBigFord20

VBigFord20 Senior Member

I plow with a 2005 Bombardier Outlander 400 with a 54" cycle country plow.

I do my driveway, a neighbors, and 2 small parking lots at my buildings. When my old POS plow truck died early last year I went the rest of the winter with the quad and it was fine. When the snow got wet and heavy, it just took longer, but it did it. Im going to use just the atv this winter and next winter get a plow for my 04. Since the truck will be 3 years old, Ill plow with it now.

Expect to freeze your nuts off, other then that it will be fine.