1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Does 09 2500 HD need help up front?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by GripTruk, Mar 1, 2009.

1. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Hi, My old Tahoe took a crap and I am looking to replace it. I have a good deal lined up on an 09 2500HD (6.0 Gas, ext Cab) with the Plow prep and towing prep package.

Obviously I needed the timbrens on the old 1/2 ton tahoe to help with the plow but does anyone who has one of these find that the plow prep is sufficient to keep the truck level or do you still need timbrens?

I can't actually tell if the snow plow prep upgrades the front torsion bars above the 2500HD level or not, it seems like it may not. The VYU package looks like it includes Roof Lamp provision, 160Amp alternator and skid plates., does not mention increased front end capacity.

I currently have a 7.5' Western Pro Plow, which I guess is on the lighter side for this truck, but I'd like to upgrade to a wider blade or even a Wide-Out possibly.

Any other known issues these trucks have (plowing and non plowing related) would also be of interest to me.

Thanks in advance!

2. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Since it's the gas engine, and not a CC, you should be okay with just a t-bar crank and an alignment. Just my $.02
  3. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I will always put a set of timbrens on my chevy/gmc the rest of my life and a few t bar cranks.The snow prep does not increase the fgvw.
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  4. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

I'm assuming you mean the Diesel when you say CC, but what does CC stand for?
  5. jryden145

jryden145 Member

6. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

7. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

yea its that much more. you cant get a snow plow prep with i crew cab and a diesel. although ive been running it for the past 3 years problem free.

Best of luck to you with the new truck.
  8. zrmo440

zrmo440 Junior Member

You can also put in a Levelrite air over shock system on your front suspension. Its a bit more expensive then the Timbrens, but I think you get better results. This way you don't have to mess with your torsion bars.
  9. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I have been doing some plowing for a friend who was badly injured in a snowmobile accident... the truck I am using is the same you are looking at. 09' Chev ex cab short box with the 6.0. It has a 9' Hiniker Scoop on it and I am amazed at how well the truck does pushing the heavy stuff. They started by turning the T bars up a little but ended up doing Timbrens on it.
    In all reality they are only a couple hundred dollars so why not just do it ya know, kind of a drop in the bucket when it comes to plowing
  10. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Thanks guys.

The only reason i'm a little weary of timbrens is that I had 'em on my tahoe and they really didn't seem to hold too well because of how they get squeezed in there. Plus, once they're in, they're always in... I like the idea of the levelrite air over shocks... I'm not familiar with them but I had the firestone bags in the rear for towing and they were great. They do look like a nice option, especially due to the adjustability factor. A little pricey but it might be worth it. I'll probably see how it handles the plow on its own first since it seems like I might not need anything else if I stick with the 7.5 footer.

11. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

Comparing a Tahoe to a 2500HD ext cab truck isn't really fair. You won't be happy with the 7.5' plow on there. The Wide-Out might be a bit more of an upgrade than you need, but it's not out of the question. It's amazing how much difference just 6 inches per side will make on that big truck when you go from 7.5 to 8.5. I'm running a 7.5 with welded-on forward-swept wings that extend my reach out to 9'3". I feel a little oversized at times, but carrying windrows of snow 500+ feet out of parking lot rows makes the extra width really handy. I can scoop and carry just as much snow as the v-plows and my cost is much lower.

The Timbrens are by far the best money I've spent on the truck. With the crazy high weight of a D-Max, I actually get better ride quality even without the plow. Now that I've experienced the difference, there's no way I'd go back to stock while plowing.
  12. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Thanks aeronutt!

I agree with what you're saying about comparing apples and oranges. For sure with the 7'6" I feel like I barely clear a path wide enough for the truck when angled...IF that.
    Ideally I'd like the WideOut, but it may be more of an investment than I can recoup with the limited amount of snow we get here on long island. I'm hoping I can just get my current setup to work on the new truck with a new truck mount and wiring and then maybe upgrade the actual plow to an 8' or 8'6" foot pro plus that I could then put the Western Wings on when needed. Most of the places I do are either small open lots or places with drive-thrus that a really big plow won't fit through.

13. KAG

KAG Senior Member

I have one but its a diesel, you will need Timbrens and load levelers. I just posted some pics in the Snow Dogg section of my plow on the truck.
  14. oh8chevy2500

oh8chevy2500 Senior Member

i have an '08 2500hd with a fisher 8' hd straight blade ...no t-bar adjustment and no timbrens just 450lbs of balast instead of the recommended 375lbs by the upfitter....haven't had any problems/concerns yet...?
  15. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

Good catch on the ballast thing. The 2500HD's LOVE ballast weight! I was running 500, but still felt light. I have about 750 now and it's settled down better. I don't think 1000 would be overdoing it, but I ran out of broken concrete to stack against the tailgate. If you use rubble for ballast, be sure to secure it with a couple of 2x6's slipped into the cargo slots of the bed so it doesn't slide forward.
  16. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Crew Cab....
  17. dalejrfan

dalejrfan Junior Member

Hi guys, I'm a newbie to the site. I got pointed in this direction from one of the guys from dieselplace.com. This is the reason he got me over here. I have an 08 Chevy 2500HD and was told by the Western plow dealer that they can't put on the plow or warranty it. The reason being the weight of the motor. But from all I've read I feel comfortable enough to get the plow and get some timbrens installed and I'll be ok. Great site, learning a ton so far.:)
  18. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

Welcome over here. Seen you on DP a few times I think. Anyways, the best advice I can give you besides timbrens is BALLAST. With the Duramax up front, you'll need way more ballast than any plow company recommends. I have 2,400 pounds in the back all the time, and the front is still overweight - but I've mitigated that with timbrens.
  19. dalejrfan

dalejrfan Junior Member

Yeah, I was reading another post here to put about 1,000 lbs as far back as possible. I will try that when I finally get a plow.
  20. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

check out truckspring.com for the air over shocks. $543 for the fronts. im really considering picking up a set for our 02 silverado.