1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dodge w/ Plows

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by jcesar, Nov 27, 2006.

1. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

OK. I am thinking on a 97 Dodge 2500 w/ the V10. It has a 7.6 Western unimount, But I think I would go bigger. Suggestions? What do you Dodge guys figure that truck would hold?

2. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

im sure you can go 8-8.5 feet with no problems.

3. Bry@n

Bry@n Senior Member

I agree. I am sure it could go 9'.

4. topdog

topdog Member
    from indiana

i put an 8ft western pro plow on mine with wings. i have a 2001 dodge 2500.

5. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

More than you could throw at it.

Basically.

I have a 99 1500 and have a 7.5 blade that weighs 800 lbs and it goes along fine with no timbrens and no torsion bar monkee business.

I do carry 800 lbs ballast though.

6. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L Senior Member

I have a 96 2500 V10

We ran a 96 dodge 2500 with the v10 and a 7 1/2 blade last couple seasons. THis year were puting a 9' on it. The truck has a ton of power so thats not a problem. These trucks are inherent to transmission, and ball joint failures though, regardless what you put on it. Just a word of expectation.

7. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Proper driving habits and preventative maintenance as well as buying good parts alieviates alot of the inherent problems with Dodges. My 96 has an 8' Fisher MM1. I have out lasted every "Inherent" problem with mine. I have had the tranny rebuilt (before it died) and beefed up (but it is a well known inherent flaw on V10's and diesel's), the ball joints lasted substantially longer than the average, as did the tie rods and panhard bar. I would stop at 8 feet for a plow, but if you're running a gasser the inherent front end trouble does not apply to you anyway.

8. ChipsEarthWorks

ChipsEarthWorks Senior Member
    from CT

I have a 95 2500 v-10 also i have a 8ft fisher mm 1 also on it, it holds it fine, go ahead and put a 8ft or even a 9ft you will have no problem's with the truck handling it. Just remember it will suck more gas with the plow on so make sure you are pricing right so you could make some green, As far as reliability, I can not say enough good things about my truck, anything i have throw at it it has handle with awesome results. Good luck

9. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

FYI the SRL trucks are only really capable of 8 ft. Especially if your planning on wings, drag edges, etc. Do guys run 8 footers with 2 foot wings? yeah. Do they run 10 footers- yeah. Does it do the front end good? nope!

10. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I put an 8'6" V Plow on my 2001 2500 Diesel I had issues with the front suspension bottoming out so we beefed up the front with better springs and timbrens no problems now and it has the power to push anything! The only weak link is the ball joints go every 40,000-50000

11. fourspeedfish

fourspeedfish Member

I thought 99 still have springs ?

12. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

8.0 is what they say 8.5 will work just fine and 9.0 is very hard on the truck but will work

13. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

I dont even know....lol

I guess it does.

14. weeman97

weeman97 Senior Member

i'm i the only crazy/ not smart person to put a 8ft MM1 on a 2001 1500 off road edition? you guys think i'll be alright? i'm new to the plowing secne. and i know i should put a 7'6 on but the 8ft was free.

15. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

Well guys,
    Thanks for the input. I did not end up with the truck, as when I went to drive it, I noticed there was a head gasket leak. Too bad. Was a pretty nice truck for the $$$$
    But onward, and upward. Going to find a Diesel, I think:salute:

16. a2t2p

a2t2p Junior Member

PerfiCut - you said you were going to put a 9 footer on your 2500 ram this year, how much ballast are you using??

17. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

BOSS says anything up to a 8'2 V or 8'6" Straight Blade, and everything in between.

18. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

most of these plows anly have a 50lb. difference between sizes