1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dodge vs Chevy

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by NorthernILPlwr, Dec 31, 2006.

1. NorthernILPlwr

NorthernILPlwr Member

Ok....im sure theres a lot of threads out there about this. Im going to be in the market next season for a newer truck. I defenitly want diesel. Im planning on going used as the cost is much lower. Im leaning more toward dodge. The chevys are just way too much $$$. My question is does anyone have any complaints about dodge trucks. Ive heard transmission problems. Any years to stay away from? Anyone wish they hadnt bought a dodge?

2. db27

db27 Member

dodge

You cant beat a cummins for long term service.There a cast iorn block,Simple to work on(narrow being a straight 6),Decent mpg,decent power in stock form,easy to get parts for,Great support group called turbodieselregister.com
    Now for the dodge part of it:dizzy: My old 96 has been a challenge but at 200k on the clock it is a solid truck for work and nice and smooth on the highway.
    All the big 3 auto trans seem to have there share of trouble but if you change the fluid often and watch a trans temp gauge you can make them last.

3. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

Well if you could find a used one to test drive (Duramax), you wouldnt even consider the old dodge, or anything else.
    But since I doubt you'll find one, test drive a used ford power stroke.

4. NorthernILPlwr

NorthernILPlwr Member

actually ive driven a duramax with the allison trans (my dad has one) i love the HD's.....they are just way too much money....

5. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

Well see how many Duramax motors you’ll replace to Dodges automatics.
    Get a CTD with stick
    My personal preference 12 V CTD in 88 and 89 Dodge trucks they still had the 3 speed Automatic 727. The 12 V with 727 is the most durable combination built to date, neither one breaks! Then 90 –96 CTD with the RH46 or A 518 4 speed automatic. Don’t get me wrong the 24 V CTD are still great motors you just can’t turn them up like 12 V .

6. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I love my cumins. It's been trouble free other than a few tsb's I've had to have done. The low end torque on the Cummins is amazing. It will push a crap load of snow, and you'll barely feel it. I think you'd be pretty happy with Dodge. This is my second Dodge, I'd definitely buy another one.

7. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

My suggestion to you would be check out the RV sites and see who has the most problems.
    This is my first cummins powered truck 05 with 35000 miles so I can not tell you from personal experience it will last for ever.
    I did do research up the ying yang before my purchase, and there is no dispute the Cummins is king for long term durability and cost control.
    The 5.9 is a true medium duty diesel motor, the other 2 can not make this claim period.
    Dont get me wrong about the Dmax, it is a good motor but not a Cummins.:waving:

As far as trannys the Allison has had more issues then the 48re in the new trucks.The 94 Dodges had issues but any reputable trans shop can fix these as well.
    There are quite few Duramax trucks round here for sale, seems they are priced lower then Cummins powered trucks that are comparable. I have not seen any screamin give away deals for Cummins powered trucks round here.
    Again do your homework. The Web will provide you with any info you may need to educate yourself. Look beyond the clowns who talk trash about how my Dad can beat up your Dad BS. Facts dont lie. Take a look at TSB's as well. The early DMaxs had major issues as well, I would pretty apprehensive of buying an early model.
    T

Last edited: Jan 1, 2007
  8. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I own both a 2001 Dodge Cummins 2500 and a 2005 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax. Both are automatics, extended cab, short bed models.

The Chevy is the nicest riding truck I have ever driven and so far have had no problems with it in 40,000 miles of driving, I do not currently have a plow on this truck!

The Dodge on the other hand in 88,000 miles has gone through 2 sets of ball joints, 2 traction bars, steering sector gear box, numerous smaller steering parts, & is in constant need of being realigned for some unknown reason.

Overall I like both trucks and you are right the Dodge should be cheaper, however if you can find an 01 or 02 Duramax I think overall you would be happier! The Allison is an awesome towing transmission for everything!

9. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

None. To put the D Max into the same catagory as the Dodge autos is insane. Outside of the Torqueflights the Dodge autos had a had time behind the diesel and more so if you worked it.
    How many D max motors have you replaced? Real life now, no internet rumors or friend of a friend who knows a guy storys.

10. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

The early D Max motors had injector issues, which is covered by GM for 200,000 miles. You have to be kiding when you put the Allison trans under the 48re trans. The Allison is probable the best trans out there for a light duty truck, which all three are. Grade braking, tow haul 5 or now 6 speeds. I will not say all the 48re's are junk but they will not outlast the Allison.
    The Cummins motor is a very good motor, the best I don't know. I think it's to early to tell if the D Max will be a 500,000 mile motor or not. And even if it is it does not mean you or I will be guranteed to get that many miles out of one, same as the Cummins.
    You talk about the web and the clowns who brag up their vehicle choice and then become one in the same post

11. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

i have seen 3 of the 6600 that i can remember in last 2 or 3 years, these motors have only been out since 2000....

I can tell you this in same peroid in time the only CTD's motors i have seen worked on were for upgrades ( bigger pumps, bigger Injectors, bigger turbos)

12. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

So in the past lets say 3 years no dodge dealer has had to change out a cummins motor? All motor designs will have a failure, they are made by humans who make mistakes.

13. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

If you are looking at a used 03 or 04 make sure you look at the build date on the door. If the truck was built before 1-03 and is the S.O 235/250hp truck it has the 47re tranny. Stay away fom those. All the H.O's 305.555 in 03 had the 48re tranny which is the better one. All the 04's built before 1-04 were called the H.O and had the 305hp/555 motor they built no S.O in 04. If the build date is 1-04 or after the truck is refered to as a 04.5 and cam with a 600 series motor 325hp/600tq. These trucks are faster and alot more mods available for them. But the fuel mileage takes a hit over the 04. An 04 will get 18 on average city/highway and a 04.5 will get 16.5 on average. But ofcourse this is all bias to driving habits. I can get 20+ on the highway if I keep it 65 and under. After that it averages 15-16. Plus the 04.5 comes with a cat and has a 4in exhaust. The 03-04 came with a 3.5 inch exhaust. If you are looking on line for a truck. Look for a C in the 8th position of the VIN. If looking at an 04's. A C is an 04.5 a C in a 03 is the H.O. When I went out looking at trucks I did not know the difference till after I bought my truck. But when I test drove them all. I thought all the 305/555 must have needed a fuel filter changed compared to the performance of the 04.5 truck I drove. And I bought the the first 04.5 I drove. None of the others compared to the power. But after I bought my truck I found out I had the 4.10 reare end in it. So I am sure all the others might have had the 3.73's. But if you are looking to put on Bigger tires and rims. I personally would find a truck with 4.10's. Other site have guys complaining about loss of power when going to bigger tires and wanting to upgrade the rear end. A set of 33's will drop the ratio 20 points. So my truck is down to 3.90. I get fuel mileage and still can fly off the line.

14. BigDave12768

PLease consider the source of this post. The guy own one of the worst diesel on the market and still defends his Chevy to the end. Allison tranny's are great in stock form. But once you Bomb the motor thye will not last. Neither will the 48re. aBut if you leave the trucks stock the 48re's are a great tranny with only one small know issue. Second gear's band is loosing up early and they are replacing and adjusting them. Their is a tsb on it. But the tranny protects itself and the motor so you can't destroy it for a while. As for Chevy having the best tranny on the Market HAHAHAHAHA it 07 PAL!!!!! Dodge now comes with the AISIN!!!!! All you clowns read your road and track magazine that test the auto's and ofcouse the Dodge loses. You ever notice none of them ever test the manuals!!! Well now they can test a Dodge with a 6spd auto Built for a medium duty truck just like the motor!!!! Sorry Duracrap fan but Chevy no longer has the best setup

15. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

So in the end of your post you do say that Chevy no longer has the best trans, which makes your post worthless seeing how you admit the Allison is the best trans.
    Now your saying claiming superiority of the asin trans that is only available in the Cab and chassis is the best trans out there even though they just started making them and maybe have a total of 1-2 months track record. How will the 68re in the truck line be? Will it also be the best out there? You knew the asin was only in the chassis cabs right?
    My worst diesel ever made as you say has plowed every year since 98, towed my trailers any time needed and served as my work vehicle up until last year. At almost 130,000 has never broken down and left me stranded, still running the 4l80e that came in it new never rebuilt.
    You sound like a Dodge sales flyer, keep up the good work.

16. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

Come on Joe When you state the rules you want others to play by... then you yourself should play by them same rules.

So how many CTD have you replace? not dealers in your area, internet finds, or i herd it from a freind of a freind....

i know dodges have issues with ball joints, and would perfer to replace ball joints evey year or two too at $150 a set then a GM injector pump @ $2500 every other year.

17. TBJ

TBJ Junior Member

I traded my 99 Cumins for an 02 Duramax in April. The Duramax has a nice ride but wish I'd kept the Cumins for the workhorse.

18. Eclipse

Eclipse Senior Member

FWIW - The Aisian tranny is not new. It has been used in other med duty trucks for quite some time.

19. BigDave12768

I have always known the Chevy had a better tranny. But the Duracrap with its long list of issues is far from a great motor. Weak crank and injector issue are on top of the list. he Aisin will be available in the regular trucks in 08. They just held them back because they are intraducing the 4500 and 5500 series theis spring. Oh and one other thing just because your truck dies in your driveway doesn't mean it didn't leave you stranded. The 6.5 was junk and still is junk

20. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

I am not on here claiming the D Max motor is junk and will not outlast a Dodge trans, big difference. My brother worked in a trans shop for over ten years and has rebuilt many of these dodge trans so thats what I go by.
    My truck has had 1 pump installed since new, far from the every other year you claim. No FSD problems as well which is the real problem with the DS4 pump anyways.