1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

dodge vans;

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by tux, Feb 27, 2001.

1. tux

tux Junior Member

does anyone on this forum have any ideas on which is the best powertrain combo for the 1998 to 2001 mini-vans,and which combo to stay away from?
    i have a sister inlaw who wrecked her last pick-up and is now looking to get into a mini-van.
    myself these mini-vans are new to me as i have always had 4x4's and never owned a van.
    any help or suggestions would sure help.
    thanks Tux.
  2. lawnmower man

lawnmower man Junior Member

I would stay away from the 3.0l engine in the Chrysler Corp. minivans. The 3.3l is the most popular. Also available are the 3.8l and 2.4l The 3.3 and 3.8 do not have a noticable power difference. The 2.4 is a little sleepy on acceleration, yet gets better MPG. The 2.4 is a good engine, but given the choice I'd prefer a 3.3 as 1st choice with the 3.8 as second and the 2.4 as third. I'm not a big fan of the 3.0 This is an old design and is made by Mitsubishi. They tend to burn oil. Hope I could be of help.
    Lawnmower man
  3. tux

tux Junior Member

van question?

lawnmower man;
    thanks for the info.this is the way i see it as well.the 3.3L/4 speed auto tranny seems to be the way to go.
    i got a price from a dealership in my area that is closeing up they are about $1200.00 less than the other shops,and there are still 2 dealers left in the area for service.
    2001 caravan SE 3.3L/4 speed auto with the usual options for $23,345 plus taxes. this is canadian.
    total price on the road $26,300.
    any idea what they go for in your neck of the woods?
    thanks tux.