1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dodge V8 Magnum's out there

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by dakotasrock, Oct 10, 2007.

1. dakotasrock

dakotasrock Senior Member
    from MN

Hey all-
    just wondering if someone could help me out that has experiance with the 5.2 or 5.9's.
    I got a 99 dakota with a 5.2, and it's burning oil.... but heres the kicker. Its only burning it when im at freeway speed (around 75). Highway speed (60), it doesnt burn any, and I mean ANY. But when I go through a tank of gas at freeway speed i'm low a quart of oil. I know their known for bad plenium gaskets, but would that be it since it's only at freeway speed?

Any idea's?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Did it just start doing this all of a sudden or is it something that has gotten progressively worse over time? PCV valves are a common contributor to this problem...

3. festerw

festerw Senior Member

4. dakotasrock

from MN

I noticed it last year.
    But it's progressively using more. I noticed maybe 1/4 of a quart, now its a full quart.

5. shanta74

shanta74 Member

i would change the pcv valve first since it is the cheapest and easiest thing to do. You should change them every 100,000 miles anyway.

6. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

7. festerw

festerw Senior Member

If the consumption is increasing I would bet the plenum is blown, flip the throttle blades open and look down with a flash light if there's oil the plenum is your problem. I know you don't want to hear it and want an easy fix but it's a known and common problem with the 5.2/5.9.

8. dakotasrock

from MN

yea theres like a coat of it in there... but shouldn't there be SOME in there?

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Nope, not if it's oil. It can stil be caused by the PCV valve though, so before you condem the gaskets, change the PCV and monitor the oil consumption first.

10. dakotasrock

from MN

Ok cool. Ill pick up a pcv valve tomorrow. They easy to put in? I honestly dont even know where it is. I ordered the new gaskets and pan, if the pcv isnt it, thats gonna be a pain. I might just end up taking it in. If the pcv fixes it, ill return the gaskets and pan, or sell them on ebay.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  11. festerw

festerw Senior Member

The PCV is just pushed into the passenger side valve cover in the back, pull it out pull the hose off and connect the new one.

The plenum isn't bad just time consuming, schedule it for the weekend and you'll have plenty of time, you'll need a fuel line disconnect tool and an inch pound torque wrench along with the normal tools. Here's a step by step list http://www.dodgetrucks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=54255

12. dakotasrock

from MN

So I replaced it and there was oil in it... is that normal?
    Also- what is the other valve on the drivers side for? The hose runs into the air cleaner.

13. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Oil vapors will pass through the PCV valve so it's possible for oil to be in it. The drivers side is just a breather. Do a quick check and pull the hose off of the air cleaner that leads to the breather, put your thumb over the end of the hose if there's a vacuum on it the plenum is blown.

14. dakotasrock

from MN

brought her in today to have the new plenum put in..... 5 hours later I have a $500 bill. He showed me the old gasket and it was all pushed out. But the power is back, and hopfully the fuel economy gets better too!!