1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dodge V10 tranny

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by dodgeguy99, Feb 12, 2007.

1. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

well the tranny in my truck is on its last legs i can tell it slips really bad and doesnt always engage. i am starting to think about a replacement tranny. what is my best option? i really want to put in a beefier tranny than the ones that came stock. because i dont want to put in a new tranny every couple years. have any of you guys put a heavier duty tranny in your dodge 2500?

2. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

anybody????

3. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

That's the 48rfe auto tranny you have, right? That's the same transmission that's been living behind the legendary torque of the mighty 5.9 liter Cummins B Turbodiesel. Albeit it has had some problems adapting, but you would too, if you dealt with 600 pound feet of twist day in and day out. And let's not forget how easy it is to modify a diesel pick up, especially the Cummins. (Easy to work on) Simple bolt ons can shoot the torque output to over 1000.

DTT (Washington), ATS (Colorado), and Suncoast (Florida) have been doing some AMAZING things along the lines of auto tranny toughness. You owe it to yourself to check some of their prices on a rebuild for your transmission. Remember how we used to think plowing was 'hard' on an auto trans? Nowadays, commercial snowplowing is a joke compared to the raw abuse the Cummins hot rodders put their units through.

These guys will drive1800 miles to a diesel event, do the burnout contest on Friday night (drunk), do the sledpulling event on Saturday (hungover) and drag race on Sunday, then drive 1800 miles home!

Here are some links. Check their prices first.

http://www.dieseltrans.com/dodge/transmission_components.htm

http://www.atsdiesel.com/ATSWebsite/About.asp

http://www.suncoastconverters.com/dodge/dodge_products.html

4. Eclipse

Eclipse Senior Member

99 Dodge V10 will have a 47RE tranny.

I agree DTT and Suncost make great trannies. I am not a fan of ATS.

I'm not sure what part of MN you are in but Goerend Bros. Transmission in Iowa has a great reputation as well.

Almost more important than the parts you put in the transmission is the how skilled your rebuilder is. I would definitely look for a skilled rebuilder in you area or as close to you as possible and see what quality parts (DTT, Suncoast, Goerend, ect...) they use.

If you need some recommendations in your area other than Goerend you can call DTT and Suncoast and they would be able to recommend a quality rebuilder they deal with.