1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dodge Trucks is there a good year?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by DAZ982500, Feb 8, 2008.

1. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 Senior Member

I have owned two Dodge trucks a 2001 1500 without a plow and a 98 2500 with a myers blade.I am looking into a 2002 with 26k on it with a Fisher blade reg cab 5.4.My question is there a good year for all around Dodges .I had one thing after another go wrong with the 98 in the 2 years I owned I sunk close to 3k into it.Last year it caught on fire on the ST Pattys day storm and was total loss.I collected 5k for the loss and payed off the remaining 5 k on the loan.A friend of mind said what ever you do don't buy another one.I own a chevy 1/2 ton with a Standard Western blade but would like to buy a 3/4 ton.I posted a question a few days ago finding a deal and got some good responses should I stay clear from DodgeBy the way there seem to be more Dodges than any others.What interent problems exist with thes trucks .DAVE

2. 2003ctd

2003ctd Senior Member

If your budget allows, buy a 2003 or later 3/4 ton... Dodge seemed to have gotten there sh*t straight after that. I've got a 2003 3/4 ton diesel, that has 131000 miles on it, and has been worked to death... Knock on wood it has been a very very very good truck. I have heard lots of good things about the new generation dodges, and not very many complaints.

3. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

The 2003 and newers are alot better trucks! I have a 2001 & 2003 and the newer one is alot nicer, more refined truck!

4. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

yea i would stay above 2003, try to get the 48re trans, not all 03's have them so watch out. I would say my 2007 is a stronger truck than my 2001, but both have served me well ussmileyflag

5. TL697

TL697 Senior Member

I love my '05 2500...

6. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Since I started driving back in 1974 I have owned and been a GM man.

I came across my 98 Dodge on a super could not pass up deal.

I have to say I love it.

Problems?

Yeah some. Nothing out of the ordinary that I did not have with the Gm's.

These trucks are pushed to the limits by us and to be honest I can not fault either brand and would buy another dodge with no problem.
    The only thing I would change is I would go to the Cummins motor.

The trans seem to give up reverse sooner than others do but I have dropped my share of GM transmissions as well.

I have a 99 Yukon 4x4 that I got for my son and that never pushed or had a plow on it and needed a trans replaced at 120k.

I just had upper and lower ball joints done. Tracking bar and steering stabilizer replaced and had to have the CV axle joints replaced. $$$

But, I have had that same stuff done to my GM's at or around the same mileage.

I have a 1988 GMC k2500 as well as my back up truck.
    Right now it is almost finished at the shop for.
    complete new steel brake lines from master cyl to wheels. All 4.
    New gas tank. Old one was so rusty the sending unit collapsed inside of the tank.
    upper and lower ball joints.
    Fan clutch.
    wiper switch inside the steering column.

I think it is preference as to the ride and height of the truck that appeals to each one of us.

I can say one thing tho although I have never had a starting problem with the dodge except for a new starter over the summer.
    That GMC has started every single time I have turned the key on it.
    Gotta love those old 350's.

Plus it is so easy and simple to work on I almost hate to think of selling it.
    The only electronics on board is the box for the fuel injection. Other then that it has Hei ignition otherwise you would think it was a motor from the 60's.

7. Mowman62531

Mowman62531 Member

I have a 06 2500 that I have had no problems whatsoever with. And it definently gets worked everyday. Oh yeah, before I bought this truck I was a die hard Chevy fan! Just can't get used to the looks of the new ones.

8. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I have a 99 01 and an 03. The 03 is by far the best. Steering problems in the earlier years are fixed in the new one. The truck rides better, and it heats up faster also. I find the 4x4 shifts alot quicker and grabs better and the cab is quieter.

351 000 kms on my 2003 and I am just having to do a few things. All minor.

9. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

What are you guys seeing for fuel milage in your 03+ cummins powered trucks?

I'm looking at getting an early 98 when they were still 12v with a 5spd but if I have the cash to swing an 03+ I will as long as they still get good fuel mileage like the 12v motors.

10. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

with my 2007 i se about 17 around town and if i go about 60-65 mph on the highway i can get over 20 mpg anything above 70 mph the milage starts to drop. those #'s are with 3;73 gears

11. payton

payton Senior Member

15-16 intown 20 on the highway if i keep it below 65.
    but i do have 4:11s and a 1 ton cc dually with some weight riding in the bed all the time. toolbox fuel tank. you get the idea a work truck

12. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

Only thing bad about the 94-02 are the trac bar BUT they have a 3rd gen upgrade for them now thru DSS.

the new trucks have a weak body! 03-present

Ian