1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

dodge transmissions

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by rjnjr1019, Dec 24, 2009.

1. rjnjr1019

rjnjr1019 Senior Member

I have a 05 dodge ram i plow with a guy told me today i should not plow with it. because the transmission is band driven and not gear driven any have any comments on this???

2. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

all autos work the same way, have fun plowing snow with it just keep up on fluid and filter changes

3. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I have an 05 Ram CTD 2500......plowed with it since I got it in 06.... trans filuid and filter changed every year..... no problems......

4. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

Heat's the thing that kills auto tranny's...put a big ole sum b i t c h tranny cooler on & dont let it keep shiftin....if your runnin say 25 mph & it keeps going up a gear, keep it in 2nd

5. Eliw

Eliw Member

just hit 150k on my tranny and still kicking. Ditto on fluid changes and the cooler. Also add a temp gauge. When you plow do it in low range od off and make sure you stop than shift from drive to reverse and back. Oh and one last tip don’t let anyone else plow with your truck with out your supervision. They will never be kind to something they don’t own.

6. rjnjr1019

rjnjr1019 Senior Member

don’t let anyone else plow with your truck with out your supervision. They will never be kind to something they don’t own.I learned that the hard way, let a buddy use a old plow truck I had and he came back and said why didnt you tell me the stearing colum was so lose. I ended up putting a new stearing colume in the truck.

7. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

You have a 48RE which is a well built transmission. Weak dodge tranmissions are a thing of the past. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

8. snow jockey

snow jockey Junior Member

I had a 95 1/2 ton with oversize tires, 8'2V and back blade went 155k no probs. I did filter changes before season and in middle of season. A also put a drain plug in the pan and dropped the fluid after a hard couple of weeks plowing. A lot can be said for synthetic fluid (AT LEAST run the reccommended Chry stuff and NOT the cheap stuff). Just keep it cool, and STOP BEFORE SHIFTING!

9. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

I agree with this. Dodge had some bad trannies in the 2nd generation rams and are now stuck with the "legend". That's why they almost HAD to start offering a lifetime powertrain warranty. Take all the advice noted in the thread and you will be fine.

I have an 03 with I think the 48 RE?? Not sure, it's the 1st year of the 3rd generation rams.
    Anyway, first thing I do when I start the truck is shut the o/d off! I will use o/d on the interstate only and that's only if nothing is in tow. That's advice from a few Dodge guys I know.

10. rjnjr1019

rjnjr1019 Senior Member

Thanks for all the info guys. I learn so much from this site.

11. JDiepstra

THe 48RE came out half way through the model year. I believe that the SO engines came with the 47RE and the HO engines came with the 48RE.

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

OD off? How fast do you plow?

13. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

I see, well I have the 5.7 Hemi motor in my 3/4 ton. I'll have to call a Dodge dealer with the VIN and see if they can look it up.

14. JDiepstra

Oh shoot, I don't know what the Hemi's came with. Probably the 47.

15. GPS

GPS Senior Member
    from MA

The 5.7 Hemi would have a 45RFE or 545RFE transmission (same trans internally; controller programmed slightly different between the two).

16. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

You are correct, crawled under it yesterday.........545RFE and 271-D transfer case.

17. HEStufrthnnails

HEStufrthnnails Senior Member

Hi Guys, I've got a 95' 3/4 ton ,5.9 gas,Auto. I tried to find the ID tag,but not to be found. Any idea's what tranny I've got?

18. rjnjr1019

rjnjr1019 Senior Member

thats one of the old trucks that had lots of problems with them If I had to guess if its still working its a transmission out of a ford

19. HEStufrthnnails

HEStufrthnnails Senior Member

Lol. You know ,It has been performing flawlessly. Until now,and reverse just isn't there. The rest of the gears,even over-drive work great.

20. rjnjr1019

rjnjr1019 Senior Member

Im sorry I had to liven things up LOL LOL