1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dodge Tranny

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Remsen1, Apr 25, 2002.

1. Remsen1

Remsen1 Senior Member

I just put my plow equipment away for the spring. Now I am beginning to notice a slipping feeling when I am driving. It happens mostly when the truck needs to shift down to a lower gear, like when I am costing along at 50mph in overdrive, then I press the accellerator to speed up. Does this mean my transmission is on the way out? Is there any benefit in addressing it soon, meaning will it cost less if I get it looked at now or should I wait til it totally craps the bed? In otherwords is it something internally that can be repaired or is a new tranny the only solution?

The transmission fluid level is where it ought to be and it doesn't do this when the truck is in the proper powerband and it shifts smoothly (no long pause between gears or abruptly popping into new gear). On a side note, I personally hate the Dodge overdrive, the 318 doesn't have the guts to pull that gear. Luckily I have the button that allows me to disable overdrive.

Thanks for any advice.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Sounds like we have the same setup - 318 auto/OD. Mine is a 1/2 ton with over 100,000 miles. Mine developed just the opposite problem - won't shift into OD until it hits about 45mph and by then it's winding out pretty good. I had it into the shop for maintenance earlier this year and was told I should just keep driving it. That it was the same as driving at that speed without OD. I'd just gotten used to it. OD was meant for use when a vehicle is up to speed and coasting on level surface. It wasn't meant for pulling a load or a hill.

I think the 318 is great for pushing snow. Plenty of power even though it's high mileage. If I have to replace it, I'll get another 318. As far as the transmission, I just make sure I'm completely stopped before shifting. That's been discussed several times on here. I've pushed some pretty heavy snow and have said it could push the house off its foundation.

3. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I seem to recall thelawnguy mentioning that Dodge still uses a trans (in some models) that need to have the bands adjusted from time to time. Might be time for an adjustment?

~Chuck

4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

It has been my experience that when a tranny is smoked, there's no such thing as a little damage. I called my transmission shop once when a car was acting up, he said run it, if it's broke, it's broke. The cost of repair is the same. A week later it was shot.

Chuck's reply bears some investigation, maybe there's a chance....

5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Chuck is right,there are 2 bands on the dodge's,the 2nd gear band is accesible from the outside,but the other band cannot be adjusted without removing the pan.The 318 needs to have 3.92 gears,most of them have 3.55's,few have the 3.92's,with the 3.93's the 318 can pull OD at highway speeds.But the lack of low end torque is obvious,so keep the OD off for longer trans life.By pulling the tranny pan,you should be able to see any junk in the pan,and make a decision as to weather it needs to come out of not.I wouldnt wait for it to blow,schedule it in,and do ito n your terms,not when it breaks,and requires 2 tow trucks,one for truck,one for trailer,with my luck it would be fully loaded when it blew up/