1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

dodge tranny

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by wideout, Oct 26, 2011.

1. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

Alreadt put this in the of topic section but i should have put it here probably. My question is how hard or is it possible to put a dodge 6 speed auto into a truck that didnt come from the factory that way

2. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

I've never seen anyone want to go that direction...every conversion I've seen are people going from the 68RFE to the 48RE...it's a much stronger transmission with the aftermarket support...

3. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I think right now the only conversion you could do would be an Allison on a standalone. I don't believe the 68RFE has a standalone computer yet so that swap wouldn't be possible now.

Why do you want to swap?

4. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

I've heard a lot of great things about them and having the option to manually **** would be nice too. Just seeing if was an option the one in my truck is still fine but if I have a problem I want to know my options

5. plowguy43

Best bet would be the allison then, especially if you are going to put the $$$ into it. Probably come out cheaper than trying to figure a way to get the 68RFE into it, and your gear spacing will be much nicer.

6. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

So what all would it take to do it. or do you know anyone who has done it? They say the trasmissions in the 06 and up truck are really good compared to the older ones were and like i say have no problems with it but if it does go out plowing by chance i will upgrade and want to know my options

7. LawnmastersMike

LawnmastersMike Member

It would probably be much cheaper and easier to have your current transmission built. You could also look into a manual valve body if you want control of shifting.

8. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

I figured that would be the cheapest way to go just checking options

9. plowguy43

Check out Competitiondiesel.com there are a bunch of guys who have done swaps and conversions over there. I did a crap load of reading when I was considering a 12V Swap into my last 99 Ram 2500. There are guys on there who have swapped an Allison behind a cummins with a standalone computer, but most just build the 48RE because they can be made bulletproof nowadays.