1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

dodge tranny question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by kirk, Feb 2, 2004.

1. kirk

kirk Junior Member
    from ct

I JUST BOUGHT A 1995 3500 4X4 DUMP. IM NOT FAMILIAR WITH DODGES BUT IT SEEMS TO SHIFT ALOT ESPECIALY IN OVERDRIVE
    ON THE HIGHWAY IT HAS 105K ON IT WITH THE DIESEL . ANY INFO WOULD BE APPRECIATED. IF THE TRANNY WAS TIRED WOULD IT SLIP OR SHIFT ALOT? THANKS:help:

2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

have you serviced it filter fluid and a band adj..

3. kirk

kirk Junior Member
    from ct

just got it

i just brought it home tonight . i plan on servicing the tranny and while i have the pan down i might replace the two solenoids. how do you adjust the bands? thanks

4. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

You need to get a service manual, the bands are adjusted by tighting them down to a certain torque and backing off the the adjustment a certain amount of turns, don't have the figures off the top of my head, but could look them up for ypou.

Bill

5. Sidebuz

Sidebuz Member

My thoughts on a dodge tranny: instead of nickel and diming you, it will ten and hundred you. Instead of change going out your pockets, you going to be spending a few grand on a new tranny. I have heard nothing but horrer stories about Dodge trannies in the Rams. Especially the older ones, right after they gave the sheetmetal a facelift. Hope you got a good deal...

6. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

SIdebuzz...save the comments for something you can give "facts" on..:eek: Kirk....the shifting is normal for that tranny. The one way to keep it from >shift RPM adjusting < is turn the OD off. Yes, this will increase the RPM's but will reduce the shifting you are reffering to. The best practice is to have the tranny maint. done every season or spring & fall. I would suggest you have the trans "power flushed " to get all the old fluid out and change the filter.. make sure they also clean the pan.

KH :drinkup:

7. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

if/when you kill it I would not go factory replacemnt. Find some of the dodge guys that are into BOMBing thier stuff and get a built unit. Dodge tranys are known to be weak of that era but there are lots of upgrades for em.

8. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Senior Member

Dodge Trannies

A word of caution about the TransTech option.TransTech is flushing the transmission fluid including the torque converter.It may not always be a good idea with higher mileage and or fluid already burnt.The burnt look in fluid is friction material from the discs bieng overheated.This sometimes will act like sandpaper to the disk's surface and the grit will keep it from slipping.Now by the time it's to this point it will probably be giving up shortly.I have rebuilt many,Dodge Ford G.M. tranny's and they all have thier problems.The only advise is if you decide to TransTech your truck make sure you use ATF+3fluid in that.Yes fluid plays a HUGE part in transmissions.We currently have about 20-1 Ton Dodge Vans-all automatics. 5-6 1500 pick-ups (mine is one) 3-550 V10 Fords 1 5500 Gmc Duramax with Allison and 1 E350 5.4L auto van. My pickup has been rebuilt but You cant copare that to yours But to that extent i replacedmine with all new clutches,torque converter 5 gear planetary--factory is four--The valve body and pump have been drilled and i added a cooler:D .The biggest problem with our new one ton Dodgesisthey are back every 15 to 20 thousand for govener pressure switches.And yes,when doing anything heavy --plowing, towing, shut the OD off.The constant shifting is not good for the tranny.Take care of it and it may last but i promise if you dont it's like any of our other trucks from the F550 to the Duramax it will cost you later.They all suck when they break.

9. ratlover

from IL

Re: Dodge Trannies

Aint that the truth :nod:

10. kirk

kirk Junior Member
    from ct

thanks

theres always a wise guy out there and yes i got a good deal. for the other guys i appreciate the info . the next thing to do is to check the engine for the KDP thats the killer dowl pin on the front of the engine there is a dowl pin that could come loose and drop into the cam gear. its a big problem in the cummings engine. has anybody done this repair or should i bring it to the diesel shop? where is this pin located? thanks

11. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Senior Member

Killer Dowel Pin

Iam not sure of this one.I try not to work on Cummins but i have heard of it. i would try a google search under Cummings camgear dowel pin problems and see if you can get at least an idea.Iwill do some research work and see what i get.Let you know later.(By the way i hope you dont think i was being sarcastic with you),just being honest.

12. crashz

crashz Senior Member

Ah - the Cummins is a great engine. Yes those trannies had their problems, but keep it out of OD and you'll be a step ahead. Beware of those power flushes. Many, many people have had problems on older cars because the sludge in the bottom of the pan gets flushed back into the valvebody. The cars and trucks will go back to the shop a week later needing a total rebuild.

Do yourself a favor and buy a drain plug for the pan. Drop the pan, drain as much fluid out as possible and install the plug. Be very carefull to keep everthing "operating room" clean. Install new filter and pan. Refill with the fluid recommended in the manual. I think its ATF +3, but you'll have to double check. Do a drain and refill every time you do an oil change (no need to drop the pan, just drain it with the plug) and you'll eventually get 99% of the old fluid out. Also install the biggest cooler that you can stuff in front of the raidiator. That should keep your tranny happy.

13. ratlover

from IL

go check out the turbodieselregister . com I think thats the spelling. They have some articels and lots of info on the killer dowl pin.

Your not going to leave it stock now are you :p

SMOKE RULES!:drinkup:

14. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Senior Member

Inspection and securing of the timing cover dowel pin:

1. Remove the damper, pulley and gear cover from front of engine.
    2. Tap on the dowel pin with a flat punch to insure that it is seated in the bore.
    3. Clean all the oil from area with solvent and dry completely.
    4. Apply some wicking type Locktite on the dowel pin and let the Locktite cure.
    5. Reinstall the cover with a new seal and gasket.
    6. Reinstall damper and pulley.

We hope this helps you better understand the dowel pin issue. We don't know about the three bolts you are talking about.

Thank you for your interest in Cummins power or products. Please let us know
    if you need assistance in locating the nearest Cummins-authorized distributor or dealer. Please feel free to use our International Dealer Locator: (http://www.cummins.com/partserv/intro.html) found on the Customer Assistance page of the Cummins website (www.cummins.com).

Let us know if you have other questions, or if away from your computer, feel free to call us toll free at 1-800-DIESELS (343-7357).

15. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Senior Member

go check out the turbodieselregister . com I think thats the spelling. They have some articels and lots of info on the killer dowl pin.

Yes www.turbodieselregister.com is an awesome info site for that cummins,there is a TON of info just register and read up.goodluck and let us know if we can help.

Ratlover,glad to see we think alike on these subjects.:drinkup:

16. SCL

SCL Senior Member

My ram puked a trans yesterday. No reverse, all forwards operated but shifting suckedpoints were way late. They pulled the pan today, broken r band and chunks of metal in the pan. 59k miles on a 96, it shouldn't have gone yet:( They're pulling it now and we'll evaluate at that point It had been powerflushed at 52K cause of high shift points at colder temps. Seems like the shift point deal may be a precurser to future problems.
    On the other hand, I have a Ford 88 f350 with a c-6 and have been through a few transes, notably Accurate rebuilds. Took me about 4 tries to get a good on.
    They all have their good points and their bad points. Good point on the c-6, $350 for a rebuild. Bad points, it took a few to get one.

17. Sidebuz

Sidebuz Member

SCL- Don't feel too bad about the tranny, you have joined a group that grows everyday. A neighbor had one go at 36K and 62K (Ram). Got rid of it then. The local farm irrigation company went through three trannies before 80K miles on their one ton Ram. They all followed recommended service schedules. When our Chevy finally went, the local transmission shop has four lifts. Three of them with Dodges and the other with our Chevy. The guy was wondering what in the world we did to ours since it went at 62K (farm truck, pulls 6 ton of liquid fert., pushes snow, hauls farm seed, etc. all "city miles").

A local mechanic told me that Dodge stick a car transmission in the ram (he ripped of the proper name for it). He did say the Cummins is a tough/good engine, but the tranny... :rolleyes:

Kipcom- these are all facts. Not something made up. So you tell me, does Dodge have more trouble than the "other two"?