1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

dodge tranny probs, this is not good!!!!

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by cornbinder, Dec 31, 2005.

1. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

hey guys i have ford blue running threw my veins, and have for 31 yrs. i found smokin deals on a couple of dodges so now i have 3. i'm concerned about my 91 with a cummins and a 3 spd. automatic. is it gonna give me troubles to? it's a little lazy when going into forward gears, it does not slip at all, it's just a little sluggish from park and or reverse to drive, it hesitates, i've been taking it very easy on it, any suggestions on what might be making it so slugish? i've got a 91 3/4 ton 360/518A, what should i look out for? thanks, pete

2. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

You might want to check the sifter linkage cable and bushings on both ends. It might be a little loose or something. You should be able to find it right under the driver side floorboard.

3. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

i've tried all the little stuff trans service, checked,linkage and all that stuff, it's something? front pump that's weak or something? that's why i posted i'm new at all this dodge stuff, that's for your input. pete

4. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

:) Well, you have out done my knowledge. Good luck!

5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

From start up, put it in neutral for 5-10 seconds before trying to move- see if that cures it. If so it's TC drainback and the antidrainback valve is bad. Pump doesn;t pump in P.

If it's all the time not just from startit's probabily low line pressure.

6. 440trk

440trk Senior Member

Cornbinder,
    The 91 CTD should have a 727 trans. The 727 is very strong and quite durable. The CTD verson is basically an even heavier duty version of the same transmission that went behind the 60's and 70's Performance Mopars/Motor homes/ Trucks/etc... Like any tranny, if they've been neglected, they're gonna eventually go. Properly cared for, they should last a good long time. They are MUCH better (from a durability standpoint) than the later Electronically controlled CTD trans'.

The 91 360/518 is also a pretty stout piece...basically a 727 with an OD. The only known problem I've heard about the 518 is that the OD unit doesn't get lubed quite as well as it should, and heavy Towing in OD will more than likely damage it. Just push that dash button to turn off the OD if your haulin' anything heavy at highway speeds, and you should be fine (well that and regular fluid changes, etc...)

I'm not saying that either of these transmissions will last forever, mind you, but they both are good pieces. The 727 should be fairly cheap to rebuild when compared to the later electronic ones. Neither of these tranmissions suffer from the pitfalls of the later Dodge tranmissions.

Hope that helps. :):waving:

And welcome to the wonderful world of DODGES!

Oh, and as stated...the Torque Converter in these transmissions do sometimes suffer from the converter drainback as mentioned above. No need to get alarmed though, it's not detrimental to the transmission if you let it idle in neutral for a few seconds to refill the converter, before dropping it in gear. My dad's old work van did this for several YEARS, and it still held up fine.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2006
  7. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

FYI the A518 is a 727 WITH Overdrive- that's the only difference in practicle terms. The 47RE IS a A518- just a different naming practice. the RE means it's electric shifting, an RH is hydraulic shifting. Very few RH models made it in these trucks after 1994. The electric control in the RE from 1996-1998 is minimal and was developed because the diesel engine runs at a lower rpm than a gas which creates lower line pressure at the same speed than a gas therefore weakening the shifting engagement in the transmission at almost all speeds. The tranny doesn't shift as well on it's own hydraulically controlled, so solinoids shift at key points instead. Still leaves the lower line pressure in the diesel (which can be turned up at a good tranny shop or a B&D Linelock installed) but eliminates some issues resulting from it in many trucks.

If you have OD you have the A518, if not you have the 727.
    The OD also engages at low line pressure because of the set speed/rpm so lock out the OD unless you're driving constantly over 1800 RPM in a diesel. That OD unit is expensive to replace, and the milage savings useing it under 50mph is negligble.

there are some noted issued with the A518 series, most of them involve line pressure issues (or Bombing the engine). Check out www.Dieselresource.com Turbo Diesel Registry, and www.Dodgeram.org.

8. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

low line pressure? why and how do i fix it? thanks, pete

9. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

There is adjustment inside the tranny. You have to calibrate it - a good tranny shop can do it. Diesel's don't generate the same engine rpm (input shaft rpm) versus a gas engine for the same drive speed (output shaft rpm) meaning the internals of the transmission spin slower, so the pump generates less pressure for the same drive speed.

Truithfully that has little consiquesce on the shift from park to drive- TC drainback has more effect. Try what I suggested (neutral for 10 seconds or so before drive) and see if that helps before worrying about line pressure.