1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

dodge tranny help needed

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Bibbo, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Bibbo

Bibbo Senior Member

i have a 99 dodge ram 1500 with about 99k on it.. when i shift in to reverse it makes a loud clunk. this has happened since day one but i noticed the other day it seems to go in to reverse really hard and the clunk got louder. its almost like you have to force it in, kinda like when you park on a big hill:(. got any ideas whats up? i know dodge trannys are not the best, lol thanks for everything:drinkup:

Bibbo

2. duff daddy

duff daddy Senior Member

hey hey hey, thoes dodge tranny's keep food on my plate and fuel in my FORD lol ah there could be an issue with the valve body its self or the cvi (clutch volume indexs) could be off and just basicly need a service. but get me on aol with hte vin number and let me know ill see if i can get any good tsb's or anythign for your truck....

3. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

loud clunk as in like yout U-joints is going bad ? i go through 3 sets a year over here

4. Bibbo

Bibbo Senior Member

its not the u-joints i dont think.. its comming from the tranny, it feels like theres pressure on it when you go to shift it in to reverse, or when u go through reverse to get in to gear, its kinda hard to explane lol im doin the best i can

5. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

time for a tranny -- i had alomst the same problem, it didnt start until 90k , but at 95k it got worst and at 2 :00 Am after a night out , i couldnt back into my drive way, only forward and i was told that i was luck to have the forward gears enough to drive it to the trans shop