1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

dodge tranny cooler??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by progmc, Feb 19, 2005.

1. progmc

progmc Member

I did a search on tranny coolers but just had a few more questions that I didnt see. I just got a 1998 dodge ram 2500. I bought a tranny cooler (the one that looks like a minni radiator not the one with the tubes running in it) and Im wondering how to put it on. Off the radiator there are the two lines they start out metal then are rubber for 10 inches then go back into metal. Would you get best results to cut the rubber ones and put a T in it clamp them back together and use the T for the lines to the cooler? Or undo it at the radiator and splice it in there. Thanks for any help.

2. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

My Ram had a tranny cooler on it already. I did not think there was splicing w/a tranny cooler. I thought you took the feed line and screwed in direct to cooler then used a short return hose to go back to radiator then the stock return line from radiator back to tranny?

3. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

Tranmission fluid cooler

I would use caution in changing the cooler sizes. Transmission fluid is supposed to run at a certain temperature. If you over heat it you cause problems and if you cool it to much you cause problems. Does your rig have snow plow prep? If so, the cooler is sized for the application of snow plowing. Cooler is not better. If your transmission is over heating when plowing you need to allow the truck to stop before changing directions. Dodge put heat exchange on the diesel to temper the transmission fluid to engine operating temperature. If you look at the flow chart on the Dodge you will see the heat is taken out of the fluid then put into the radiator then sent back to the transmission. While the fluid is in the radiator it will either take out excess heat or add if the air to fluid heat exchanger takes out to much.

The diesel has a separate heat exchanger that tempers the fluid to operating temp. Also the diesel will not go into over drive with cold fluid.

I found out also drive shaft Ujoint straps and bolts are one time use, per the Dodge service manual. Change a Ujoint, change the straps and bolts that hold it to yoke.

Dave

4. progmc

progmc Member

No I dont believe that its a plow prep pkg. I has a 117 amp alt on it, but no tranny cooler that I can see. Ive been told that a tranny cooler is a must have. Is this correct or is it a waist of money? If it helps at all its well worth it. But I guess like you were saying I dont want it too cool. I dont really know any thing about them just that if I need one Ill put it on.

5. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

tranny cooler

Call Dodge dealer with vin number. He can tell you if it has trailer tow and snow plow prep. I do not put plows on rigs that don't have snow plow prep or trailer tow packages. There is things like increase cooling and suspension items that are different if you put a plow on it.

Good luck.

Dave