1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

dodge suspension help

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by redneck2003, Aug 1, 2004.

1. redneck2003

redneck2003 Junior Member

I have a 98 Dodge Ram 1500 it came with a Sno Way Lobo II V plow. any suggestions on what to do to the truck to get it to hold the weight. right now it holds the plow up only 2 inches off the ground. Can't get around much like that! Or if anyone would be willing to trade plows I would be interested. I don't plow alot so I don't really need such a big plow. Any feedback would be appreciated.:D

2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

that has springs add 3/4 ton spring set

3. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Who was dumb enough to stick a v plow on that truck? I would get a different plow a 7'6" or 8' max. The 3/4 ton springs would work but if you don't need the v you can sell it and make some money because straight blades are cheaper.

4. PLOWMAN45

I would not put a 8ft on 1500 imo thats way pushing it

5. redneck2003

I did not know it Had a V plow on it until I picked it up from the dealer. I just have a 1/4 mile drive to plow so I don't need the v. Besides I also Have an 83 chevy diesel with a western straight blade. I was only hoping to use the dodge for a back up plow. Don't want to damage it.

6. redneck2003

Thank you For your input. Maybe I will just sell it. and get a smaller plow.

7. snoking

snoking Senior Member

no that plow is just fine on that truck...we have have 15 hals ton dodges with 9 footers on them no big deal......go to the dealership and get springs for a dodge with a deseil.....

put them on and youll run like a champ.....hop the boat across the lake and ill show you ours if you have any question...

8. redneck2003

thanks snoking I will give that a try

9. PLOWMAN45

You put 9ft on 1/2 tons good luck with that

10. snoking

snoking Senior Member

been doing it for years....will post pictures when season gets closer

11. johndodge

johndodge Junior Member

Install the Timbren front end kit and you won't have any problems. I've put them on every truck I have. They cost about $150 a set. It's kinda high for a piece of rubber, but after you install the first set, you won't live without them.

12. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

7'6" will always be my limit for 1/2 tons however if i were to put an 8' curtis on my truck it would only weigh 15 LBS more then my 7'6". My truck has no problem with 750 LBS so iam sure itd be fine with 765. However i would not do it because you are pushing more snow with an 8' therefore its more stress that the truck does not need.

13. redneck2003

Thanks johndodge I have a set ordered aready. I am not worried about how the truck will do. The plow has been on it for 5 years and there is no problems with it. I just don't like it sitting so low when plow is up and in the V position.

14. mylawn03

mylawn03 Senior Member

sell it and get a 7'6" straight blade sno-way...same mounting....and wiring I think? probably need to switch the controllers though....

15. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Jentlemen. It matters not what 1/2 ton we are talking about. Gm. Dodge. Ford. The maximum weight for a plow for a 1/2 ton is 550lbs. Pick what ever brand you want after that. Right truck, right plow. Simple. Thanks

16. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Dave I beg too differ with you. Last check older older f150 2003 and older NO PLOW ?? Dodge quad cab 1500 no plow. Chevy extended cab no plow. Now we all know you can get away with some stuff and yes some are better then others( meaning brand) . Western has a new series out for the light weight crowd. But watch what ya say here, heck some of these trucks couldnt handle 200 hundred pounds on the front, let alone 550.
    T

17. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

T-Man
    Yes you are correct. Some cannot even handle 550 lbs. without upgrades. We will not install a plow bigger than 7'6" on a 1/2 ton because we don't want the customer coming back with a beat out truck after the first season. If you want a big plow get a big truck. It is better to have too much truck than too much plow.