1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dodge Steering problem

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Dodge Plow Pwr, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

Ok here it is. Friday I drove to ISU to p/u my daughter for Easter. Truck decides to over heat. Pull over let it cool down no big deal... So back on the road 1/2 way home the truck starts steering funny and I cannot control where it is going, slow down pull over and power steering fluid is EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!:cry: Lid was loose (Just had oil changed Thursday by dealer since I was in a hurry didn't do it my self) so I filled it back up and put lid on TIGHT. Back on the road... Get almost home and the powersteering pump lets out this scream............:eek: Look under truck and whamo fluid everywhere.
    The dealer just called me, the entire rack, pump, cooler, all hoses, and EVERYTHING that runs this fluid through it are junk and the metal from the pump going out went into all of it and needs to be replaced..
    Here is the punch line, they say it will be at least 2 weeks just to locate all the parts they need and another 1-1.5 weeks to put it back together.... WTF??? Thank GOD for extended warranty.
    Thanks for letting me vent... I feel a little better.
    Never mind that, the rental place called and don't have any trucks only a Hyndai Elantra. Did I mention I am 6'2" and 295 pounds....:nono:
    But I still love my Dodge ram.....:waving:

2. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

good luck fitting in the little car

3. duff daddy

duff daddy Senior Member

get me thoes part numbers if you can for exactly what you need and i can tell you if i can ship them sop over night to your dealer quicker. let me know asap pm me if you need and i can get you an answer tomrrow when i get to work.

4. Dodge Plow Pwr

They will not give me any info. They are really getting under my skin...:gunsfiring:
    Now I hear it is supposed to snow and freezing rain here tonight and me with no more trucks.
    Thanks for the offer and looking out for me. I will find a different dealer next time.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  5. duff daddy

duff daddy Senior Member

I do know some of the p/s parts such as racks have been on a little shorter supply lately exp for like town and country's and caravans, and sometimes the lines supply will get cut back if they arent selling that often they will just let the supply in the depo's just run down and make them quarterly

6. Dodge Plow Pwr

Thanks Duff... They just called me back and "Promised" it will be done tomorrow by end of work day and the "other" parts S/B there in the morning tomorrow.
    peace...

7. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

been there done that, it took about a week to get the parts in for my steering unit when mine went the second (or was it the third?) time.

8. duff daddy

duff daddy Senior Member

if you ever get a pinch some places around town that have a machine shop can make hydrolic lines and get though though in a pinch, they did it for me when i blew the line from my hydro boost to my pump for them to make htel ine was like 65 and a new line from for was like 75 so its a decen replacement with stainless compression fittings

9. FTGUprprtyMaint

FTGUprprtyMaint Member

whats with are dodges having problems with the front ends??? last winter i put $1095.00 in my front end and this winter its making all sorts of noises again. Hey dodge plow powr let me know what ur total for the bill would have been if you didn't have a warranty. I have been noticing my pwr steering gear box is noticeably moist and looks like the lines going into it are pretty corroded

10. Dodge Plow Pwr

Just picked up my truck from the dealer. My cost was $775.00 for items NOT covered. FOr the warranty items there are 3 full pages of what they did. When I walked over to the truck last night there was a huge pile of stuff that was replaced. What a mess. I will post later what was changed if anyone wants to know. Also, there is no cost listed for the parts as most of it was warranty. I usually only keep a truck 2 years, this one I have had for 3 this will teach me to keep on my time frame as I have NEVER had all of these problems before and this is my 9th truck.

11. Dodge Plow Pwr

Mad As He//

Took the truck BACK to the shop today as the same crap just started again..... I don't get it. I also told them to save my old parts as I wanted to see them.... Poof the have been thrown into the dumpster and the garbage man has just left the building...:realmad:

12. duff daddy

duff daddy Senior Member

Not to stick up for mistakes but most of the time if the repair is covered by we(the dealer) are obligated to save the part or return it to chrysler for inspection....

13. Dodge Plow Pwr

That's fair, but all I wanted to do is see them so I (for myself) can verify what was all done as I have been lied to way too many times. It was all just for my own satisfaction.

14. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

slightly OT

funny how i chimed in the other day then noticed a leak in the outtake hose from ps radiator to the box, no prob, just go to advance and grab a new hose........ i wish it was that simple.

finally got the hose off and found out that someone used channel locks to tighten the hose and had bend the fitting from round to oval (I've had 4 dealers in 5 years so can't put a finger on who), okay, still not too bad, just go to my buds auto parts store and pick up new radiator. ....well he didn't carry oem so i grabbed an aftermarket i thought i could make fit......

well in trying to take the hose off the ps box end which connects to an aluminum line that goes into the box broke off at the box (turned out it had rot)

long story short i returned everything yesterday and today am going to the dealer to get all oem for 3 times as much (looking at about $200+)

oh well...

15. Dodge Plow Pwr

That sucks dude. I hate when people work on my stuff and make it worse than it was when I took it there to the "Pros".
    My intercooler broke both ends off,(they were plastic caps) they gave me credit and I installed the Banks kit on there. They knew that there was a problem and couldn't get one for about 3 weeks as a lot of people had the same problem. Had my Banks in 1 day.

16. 2003ctd

2003ctd Senior Member

What dealer are you using? Dempsey?

17. Dodge Plow Pwr

For some of it. This truck is all over the place. Also been in Morris and at a place in Wisconsin just over the border.

18. Dodge Plow Pwr

New problem this time

The transmission just went out... Thank GOD I bought the extended warranty on this truck.:realmad: