1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dodge Snow commander

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by R. Uzupes, Apr 1, 2004.

1. R. Uzupes

R. Uzupes Junior Member

I own a 1980 dodge snow commander, it came from the factory with a Myers Hydraulic snow plow. After almost 25 years the belt driven hyd. pump is worn out. I have not been able to find a new or rebuilt unit, any ideas?

2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

yeah i thought i seen mill supply has those parts

3. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

My old 75 dodge used a power steering pump driven off the engine

4. R. Uzupes

R. Uzupes Junior Member

Thanks for the reply, I've seen the Fisher belt diven units and they are too big. My old unit is only 3 1/2 " wide and 5" in dia., & has a 3/4" return line to reservoir.

5. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

Try Monarch Road Machinery, in Grand Rapids Michigan. They made the original ones on some of the Sno-fighters.

6. wickedcarpenter

wickedcarpenter Member

Pump

Let us know if you find one. Last year the Dodge dealer found 6 of them units through other Dodge dealers and they wanted just under $300 :gunsfiring: for 1 so i passed on it.
    i have one pump with a hole in it and the one i'm using now,the bearings must be shot cause the shaft has play but does not make any noise and works fine.

7. Bigfury

Bigfury Junior Member

Hydraulic Pump,Belt Driven

I'm in the middle of rebuilding an '78/'84 Dodge W20 with the old factory plow system.From all the help locatly it seems the pump is a power steering pump with a different sheet metal body.Knowing this I'm about to attempt to retro fit a power steering for the plow pump.It's not the first time I've done something this stupid that may or may not work.

8. wickedcarpenter

wickedcarpenter Member

pump

i talked to meyer about building one out of a power steering pump and they said it would not work that the pump needed to have 1700 p.s.i. i also asked a hyd pump rebuilder,he said the same.
    i you do get it to work for sure let us know.i'd hate to scrap a good plow but on the other hand i can get a Western pro plow for $300 with new joy stick and cables.i just need to find a cheap mount for the 82 Dodge 3/4 ton.

9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I replaced mine with a western power unit on my 74 ,w200, sno comander, put the stock pump and valve body on the shelf (I guess it was time to step into the 21 century)

10. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

A power steering pump is just a hydraulic pump like any other. It should have a pressure relief somewhere in it that could be replaced, shimmed or otherwise modified.

I've heard of people using powersteering pumps to operate dump boxes, for example.

For the record, I have not done it... I would attempt it with a ps pump with a separate reservoir (so you can add a larger one). I have one here that looks suitable on an '83 Cadillac that I wanna play with next summer...