1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dodge shifting noise

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by redjeb, Jul 13, 2003.

1. redjeb

redjeb Junior Member

I have a 1998 Ram 1/2 ton 2wd 5 speed manual (give me a chance, I'm not the most financially well off) with about 130,000 miles on it. A few weeks ago, when I started shifting from 2nd to 3rd, and now from 1st to 2nd as well, I get some grinding unless I shift very slowly--forcing me to drive like my grandmother. I was thinking this might be the clutch, but I've never messed around with transmissions before. . . Any suggestions? All of the fluids are at the correct levels, and the engine runs fine.

2. Nozzleman

Nozzleman Senior Member

It sounds like the synchronizers in the transmission are getting worn out. If you plan to purchase another vehicle soon I would just keep driving yours as is. But if you plan to keep it you may need to replace/rebuild the trans.

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

It does sound like worn synchros,but what caused the failure ?

A dragging clutch,or pilot bushing will prevent the input shaft from spinneng freely,which wears synchros.Not depressing the clutch fully,or shifting to quickly can also cause this.

Were you doing the fluid changes and using the proper spec fluid ? How does the clutch feel ? It is hard and stiff ? If so it may be dragging,and causing your problem.One way to check,is to let the clutch out with the truck in neutral.Then quickly depress the clutch and throw it into reverse.If it grinds,and takes some effort to get it in gear quickly,then it may be the clutch,or pilot bearing.

Either way,get it repaired ASAP before it does some major damage.

4. redjeb

redjeb Junior Member

The clutch hasn't changed. . . still depresses with the same force, doesn't stick or seem to give any trouble. I'm a Marine, so I took it up to the Auto Hobby shop on base and let one of the mechanics that works there take a look at it. . . he said probably syncros or maybe a worn fork, but the only way to be sure is to drop the tranny and look at it. I'm heading up there tomorrow (Thursday) to drop it and look around. . . I'll post what I find out tomorrow when I check it out. . .

The shifting check with reverse did not grind, and was no more difficult than normal to get into reverse. . .

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

Well if it's not hard going into reverse,then the clutch and pilot bearing should be OK.

Find out what trans you have,it's either a NV3500,or a NV4500.They take specific fluids,and using the wrong fluid will damage the synchros and light metal parts.