1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dodge Ramcharger Stalls At High Speed

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by DOGHOUSE, May 18, 2006.

1. DOGHOUSE

DOGHOUSE Member
    from Alaska

Hey Guys, What I Have Is A 1988 Dodge Ramcharger With A Throttle Body Fuel Injected 318. Now What Happens Is That When The Engine Gets Warm And I'm Up To Highway Speeds It Just Dies. Sometimes I Can Throw It Into Neutral And Re-start The Pig But Then Again Most Times I Have To Come To A Stop And Let It Sit For A Couple Minutes And Then She'll Start. What The Hell????
    Any Ideas Would Be Appreciated Before I Have To Take It To The Blood Sucking Mechanics Around Here.

Thanks Guys And Looking Forward To Next Season

Dave

2. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

My '87 Ram does the same thing. Haven't figured out what is really wrong with it yet as it died in my driveway and has not restarted. I haven't had the time to fuss with it yet. It seems to be a very common problems for these old Dodges. Do an online search with key word like (Dodge dieing sputtering" and you should fine some stuff. Good luck!

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Just an idea:waving: cheek your coil. when they get old they will work for a while,then get hot and fail. Then they cool off and start to work again, for a while.

Cheek for loose connections in the ignition circuit, cheek for voltage, 12v at the coil as some one jiggle the ignition switch (key) as you are cheeking the voltage.(bad switch)

Do the 88's still have a ballast resister? if so cheek it also.

cheek thees first.

Last edited: May 22, 2006
  4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Does it have an electric fuel pump with a relay to switch it on?
    The pumps are very picky on receiving the correct voltage and a good ground. (Fleet owners used to have issues with Dodge wire harnesses all the time) Check the pressure too,might consider buying a EFI pressure gage. Hook it up temporally and hop out and check the pressure when it dies. Make sure you have changed all the fuel filters too,some trucks had 2.The pump could be heating up and stopping too. A friend's newer truck just had his replaced because he never had much gas in the tank. So it did not get the "extra cooling" from being submerged in the gas.
    I chased an EFI issue with my truck for 6 months. I have read a lot on the subject.

5. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I found my problem was the fuel sending unit. Might want to start there.:(