1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

dodge ram

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by doyles, Jan 5, 2012.

1. doyles

doyles Member

i just picked up a 2000 2500 dodge ram 2500 sport model with a v10 and automatic trans and it does have 4 wheel drive i whant to put a 8.6 v plow on it as far as the truck its self is concerned is the any thing i should improve
  2. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I have nearly the identical truck but a 1999. Mine was ran by the previous owner with blown front shocks for a long time (they were stockers with 116k on them) so the springs were soft. I upgraded to progressive rate coils and some new shocks (nothing special). It holds my 9'6" plow very well and the truck has plenty of power. I have yet to put ballast in and she only drops about an inch.

As for upgrades - I'm adding an auxillary cooler with electric fan (Hayden "the Dawg"), a new Deeper Tranny Oil Pan (Derale), a tranny oil temp guage, and removing the check ball from the return line. Other than that I'm not planning on anything else until the tranny decides to go. Then I'll get into it deeper.

The V10 has tons of power and torque and I've loved plowing with it in the few storms we've had so far.
  3. jschmitz93

jschmitz93 Member

I had to put some timbrens in the front of my 1998 2500 when I went to my unimount mvp, it was sagging quit a bit. pretty inexpensive upgrade.
  4. plowguy43

Interesting, maybe your's are getting weaker as well?

I got these from Rockauto.com for $125 shipped and honestly it rides amazingly well. More like a 1500 than a 2500. My wife even commented that it doesn't ride as "bad" as my 04 Hemi 2500 did.

With the plow on its even smoother.
  5. jschmitz93

jschmitz93 Member

I'm sure they are a little weak as they seem to be the stock ones that came with the truck. I only have about 150,00 on her so shes not too beat. I was thinking about putting new springs and shocks in. Might still do the shocks. But Now with the timbrens not sure I would see a huge difference with the plow on.
  6. jjklongisland

jjklongisland Senior Member

on my door
  7. plowguy43

LOL Nice!

jschmitz93- is yours a V8 or V10/Cummins? I only ask because my truck has 116k on it and they were already worn out, and it never had a plow on it. Granted the previous owner drove with blown out shocks, but even so I'd assume at 150k the springs would be tired. And regarding the timbrens, if your springs would support the weight the timbrens wouldn't really be necessary or hit your axle unless you had some big pot holes while driving.

Either way, if it holds it thats all that matters!
  8. jschmitz93

jschmitz93 Member

I have the 5.9 v8. The timbrens seem to be doing their job. I had some nasty sag before I put them in. I still am looking and thinking about putting some new shocks in the front. Just been lazy/broke to pull the trigger. Sure could use a little snow.

The biggest problem for me has been keeping the back end down. I have about 600lbs of sand back there this year but last year I was running around 400. My ass end would let loose every and any where. doesnt take much
  9. plowguy43

Oh god I hear you. I think these 2nd gen's are even stiffer in the back end than the 3rd and 4th gens. The few storms we've had I've run 600lbs and that was plenty in my 04 2500, in this truck I'm still sliding out everywhere. I'm probably going to go to 800 and see how that goes.

If it helps, I purchased my shocks from AdvanceAuto.com and picked them up at the store. There are TONS of discount codes online if you google "advance auto parts discount codes". I wanna say they were monroe gas matics, and both came out to $30 after discount.

The Coils for my truck like stated were $125 shipped after the 5% discount code

Picture 314.jpg

Picture 358.jpg

Picture 363.jpg

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

PG43 I hope you took some before and after measurements of the ride height with the plow on and off. Nothing beter than a new spings to make the old iron feel new again.

As for the balast the weight in the rear will depend greatly on the blade on the front and the amount of overhang with respect to the centre of gravity on the front axle. More balast will be required as the blade position moves away from the front grill.
  11. jschmitz93

jschmitz93 Member

Everything always looks so nice when you first put it in before the salt and snow get to it. Thanks for the coupon trick that will be nice. Now I just need to find a buddy to help me out with the shocks. I am a moron when it comes to fixing stuff. I seem to have very little patience.
  12. djr623

djr623 Member

Hey plowguy do you have a part number handy for those coils? Thanks
  13. plowguy43

Yup no problem - Rockwell RV1714's
  14. UglyTruck

UglyTruck Senior Member

Supercoils, + 2" ride height for the fronts. only have to do it once that way.

Ballast should = blade weight. JMO. but it plows WAY BETTER. and for the original question, "as far as the truck its self is concerned is the any thing i should improve
    thanks " Double check all the front end components, ball joints, U-joints, tracbar, steering gear, steering pump, (then the steering gear again), if it has alloy wheels watch for cracks in the outer lip on the inside, and the headlights suck, but thats all.... all trucks have their drawbacks, but it sounds like you got a very nice one. plenty of power with the V-10 Im a 5.9 straight-6 guy, but then again I have bad hearing so it doesn't bother me too much ;-} ....
  15. jjklongisland

jjklongisland Senior Member

I love my V10... When I bought my truck I really wanted a 5.9 but when I saw this truck I couldnt pass it up. It is awesome for towing, I also have air bags in the back... I have hauled 2 tons over gravel in her... I cant wait to push a big storm with her. I took last season off so only did my driveway. Never was able to plow anything big... I just thank god its not my daily driver or I would have to remortgage the house for fuel costs.