1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

dodge ram whining noise?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by apik1, Jan 20, 2011.

1. apik1

apik1 Senior Member

Hello my plow site friends. I have a 04 ram 2500, 4x4, 4 door, long be,d hem,i auto. I am getting a high pitched whining noise between 1200 and 1600 rpms. I took the truck to a tranny shop they said its not the trans or t case. I had the windows down on the truck today trying to figure it out, and its in the back half of the truck. The part I don't get is that it comes and goes. It seems to go away when it "warms up" I was thinking a u joint or carrier bearing. Thanks for any input
  2. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

Check the rear diff.....
  3. apik1

apik1 Senior Member

I dont think it is in the rear end, because it does not get louder with speed, and its only there untill it warms up. And it does not sound like a grea whine.
  4. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

Look in the bed of the truck. It might be one of your sidewalk guys:laughing::laughing:

Sorry I couldn't resist. I was going to say turbocharger until I read the whole post and you said the back of the truck. Sorry I can't help.
  5. apik1

apik1 Senior Member

its more like the whole crew wining not just one!
  6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

it is whining because it is a Dodge and not a Ford....lol
    hows the ujoints?
  7. Plow Nuts

Plow Nuts Senior Member

How Cold has it been up your way?/ It could very well be the rear diff whining because the gear oil in the diff is so thick due to the extreme cold. If the problem persists you may want to switch to a synthetic in the winter.
  8. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping Senior Member

check your universals in your driveshaft and grease them. does it do it when its warm or cold? or both
  9. apik1

apik1 Senior Member

And the broken part was.......... pinion bearing :mechanic: