1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

dodge ram suspension questions

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by tattoofever, Oct 29, 2009.

1. tattoofever

tattoofever Member

ok heres a question for you all
    i have a 2003 ram regular cab short bed 1500 it has the torsion bar set up
    i was wondering if it was possible to change it over to a 3/4 ton ft suspension
    could i just change control arms and ad springs ,i know i'd most likely have to change out some other items ,perhaps sway bar and links mayby spindles but thats minor the big question is has anybody done this if so what did you have to change ?thansk in advance for any help

2. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

You could also put a Powerstroke with an Allison in but why?

Anything is possible but it isnt worth it. Just buy a new truck

EDIT: I just reread your post and thought you should know the 3/4 tons have solid front axles so it is more than just tossing springs in and changing end links.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  3. Dan s

Dan s Junior Member
    from ct.

ditto. i agree with him.

4. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

In the Chevy world it has been done on the 1500 series trucks. I have plowed with the same truck as your 03 and in fact by turning up the tortion bars you can achieve good results. In the spring back off the tortion bar to get a softer ride back.

5. NBI Lawn

And yes I know the PS never came with a Allison. It could be done though

6. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

so i guess the asnwer is NO!

7. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

I have a 02.5 Quad Cab 1500 and I have a Fisher Standard Duty plow MM2 on my and it sits just fine, I did not adjust the torsion bars or anything else. Check out my avatar. Plow is up and truck is sitting pretty much inline with no ballast in the back. I will probably put some sand in the back though to use as weight and for traction just in case. But as you can see it handles the plow great! PM me if you need further detail

8. bigmac1276

bigmac1276 Member

I have a '02 short bed, 1500 and put a boss plow on last year. When the plow was added the front end bottomed out so I adjusted the torsion bars and added timbrens system in the back. Works great wouldn't change a thing.

9. NBI Lawn

The answer isnt no, the answer is its possible but a lot more work than he thinks and probably not worth it. I say "probably" because I have seen some crazy dumb stuff done in the past.

Also, if you change the front axle to one off of a 3/4 you would also need a drive shaft, 8 bolt rims, tires not to mention the rearend. Have to be sure the gears are the same and then a new rear end to match the front 8 bolt and rims. Also a rear drive shaft.

On a fabrication scale of 1-10 I would give this an 8.5. You mess one little thing up and the truck will drive sideways down the road or the axle will just fall out

You would be better off finding a wrecked 3/4 ton and swapping your body onto it. I know there is one in my area for like $4900 that doesnt even look that bad. Or check your local junk yards, there are a ton of the cash for clunker cars and trucks that will surprise you. some nice stuff in the yards actually

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  10. tattoofever

tattoofever Member

well i guess i wouldnt know unless i asked right?if i could afford a new truck i wouldnt be thinking about trying to change my half ton to a 3/4 ,i messed up saying i wanted the whole 3/4 suspension ,i'm just looking to eliminate the torsion bar and replace it with heavy duty springs to better handle the weight of a 8 ft blade
    i wasnt sure if the ft axel had to be changed out ,i guess was hopeing i could throw in a set of 3/4 control arms and springs and perhaps some other ft end parts and be all set as far as getting rid of the torsion bars and being able to use springs ,The ram 1/2 ton had springs up to 01 so i didnt think it was that dumb of a question
    It would be nice to have the 6/12 ft bed when plowing in those tight spaces
    do you think the torsion set up will hold a 8 ft blade? i know i can put it on there i just dont want to be driving down the road looking like i have air shocks in the back

11. NBI Lawn

It also had a solid front axle

12. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

If the control arms on the 3/4 ton 2wd truck are the right size, and the springs are strong enough, and if everything fits properly, then all thats needed is some time and alot of effort.

Now, if you stayed with the torsion bars, see if you can find the dimensions for them. Then, compare those to a GM HD torsion bar. If they are similar length, and will work with the factory keys, then it may be possible to throw those up there. It has been done before on GM 1/2 tons.

If the bars arent similar in length and if the keys wont fit, then a different truck might be the best option.

13. NBI Lawn

Where would the axle shafts go? The spring will be right in the way. If it were 2wd maybe.

GM torsion bars will not work. I am 99.9% sure anyways.

14. tattoofever

tattoofever Member

thats all i needed to hear ,