1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dodge Ram/Steering/Suspension Problem

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by oktex88, Apr 1, 2009.

1. oktex88

oktex88 Junior Member

I'm new to snow plowing, my boss just bought a new hotel which has a Dodge Ram with a Boss V-plow to use on the property and the guy who plowed just retired so I am new the plow guy.

I want to know if something is wrong with the suspension or a joint or something... If i'm in 4WD High or Low and I turn the steering wheel left or right all the way there is a lot of hesitation and a weird rubbing like noise.. this only happens when the wheel is at full left or right travel.. should i be concered and bring this up to my boss?

2. oktex88

oktex88 Junior Member

Update: Just moved some snow around.. there is not really a noise.. the truck just will bounce around a lot and jerk and hesitate when the wheel is turned all the way.. i really notice it in 4WD

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  3. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

That's normal. When you have it lock in 4wd and are turning, you are forcing the opposite tire in the front to drag and that causes the steering wheel to kind of rock back and forth in your hand and makes the jerking feeling you feel. Remember to only use 4wd when you are on wet type areas so that tire can "slip" on the pavement and for less wear and tear.

4. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Also try to make soft corners. Dont try to pull U turns and hard turns or it will jump.

5. doubleedge

doubleedge Member
    from ND

If that is happening, you probably aren't on slippery enough ground to need 4x4. The front and back wheels take different paths when you are turning, thus they need to travel at different speeds; since there is no differential between the front and back axles, they fight with each other. When one of the wheels has little traction, it slips and goes the speed needed to balance the front and back axles.