1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dodge Ram question regarding plowing

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by DP Property, Aug 5, 2008.

1. DP Property

DP Property Senior Member

Hi guys

I am looking for a second truck I can work. I found a 1998 Dodge Ram 4 x 4 nice looking truck . Looks mean with new tires , brakes , and a new clutch , toolbox ect.

I was wondering is it a pain to plow with an standard transmission? I learned on a stick shift so I don't think it would bother me.

Also is there a Meyers easy mount available for a 1998 ram is it easy enough to find? My Ford has the classic mount and I was hoping I could have the Ram as a back up and take on a few more contracts?

Have any of you guys plowed with a 1998 Ram and standard?

Thanks
    David
    DP Property Maintenance

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Ran a 97 with good result, automatic but a good truck.

Manual trans are great for roads and other long runs but the left leg gets tired if you doing clean up.

3. bossplowguy

bossplowguy Senior Member

Well, with a stick your leg will feel like it's gonna fall off if you are plowing for any legnth of time. I plowed for 10 years with stick shifts, this is gonna be the first time I ever plowed with a auto. All the dodges I had held up really well, all mine were diesels though....

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Absolutely. New would be no problem..used you'd need to search around a little but one could be had.

5. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

My first plow truck was a stick, it was a old Chevy with the 6.2 diesel:dizzy: It was fine most of the time since you can shift back and forth while you are still moving, but it would get a little old some times, mostly because reverse and granny or 2nd were so far apart. And every appendage was doing something. Steering, brakes, clutch, shift, plow controls, looking everywhere... never a dull moment.:D