1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dodge ram power outlets

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by stcroixjoe, Jan 27, 2011.

1. stcroixjoe

stcroixjoe Senior Member

I have a 05 2500 diesel and I have burned up two out of three power outlets with my whelen light bar (Guardian) No its not the fuse's I have tripled checked them .do you think I have a short somewhere in the light or are the power outlets wiring just not strong enough??
  2. Cover Guy

Cover Guy Senior Member

I had the same thang happen on my 05 the socket gets loose
  3. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

I have a 98, and my whelen rotator bar burns the fuses and sockets up in no time. Sometimes starts melting the plastic of the plug if it doesn't blow the fuse first. I think it's just too much power for the truck's socket, so I'm going to hardwire it with a switch and in line fuse.
  4. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

you need a nice long 14/2 with a waterproof fuse holder and ground ring to go to the battery....

and then you put a quick connector on that wire after your all done tucking it away so you can pop off the light bar easily and put it away also leaving the power wire neatly tucked out of sight..

then you take your stock cig cord and put the same quick connector on that so in a pinch you can grab the light and the cig cord and take it to another truck if you had to temporarily..

its easy to make...email if you want more info
  5. bill7101

bill7101 Member

just remeber that most trucks outlest only are set up with 20amp fuses, the light bars can pull alot more then that, best to just gve it heavy wire and its own fused socket wired straight from the battery
  6. jjklongisland

jjklongisland Senior Member

7. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I was having the same problem with my Whelen Guardian and a GMC 2500HD. That lightbar is great, but pulls a ton of power. I got tired of burning out plugs so bought what jjk suggested above. It worked great with out any issue. I was going to hard wire it next if that didn't work out.
  8. jjklongisland

jjklongisland Senior Member

9. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

Cover Guy is correct. I just had 2 replaced in my '06 ... they had loosened up and were not making proper contact anymore. Replaced the receptacles with updated units and all has been good this winter. Also bought an LED lightbar that only draws 0.5 amps so I'm sure that helped also.